Repairing gutters on Westfalia hightop

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sweetaswesty
80-90 Mem No: 12543

Repairing gutters on Westfalia hightop

Post by sweetaswesty »

I’ve taken the fibreglass roof off our Westfalia Hightop in order to fix the rot in the gutters and the inner section of roof.
However I’m experiencing a couple of problems repairing/replacing the gutters .
The first problem is the difference in cross section between the outer edge on my gutters and the outer edge on the repair sections I bought.
There are two types of roof gutter outer section , early and late, and the hightop retained the earlier type all its life.
The image on Schofields website of the outer edge of the gutter repair section I bought seemed to be a close match for my original gutter having a nicely curved edge at the top and bottom. When the repair section arrived it was much more squared off and doesn’t match my gutter at all. I’ve phoned around and it seems this is the case with every available repair section now – unless someone knows where I might be able to buy a better made slightly curved version as in the photo?
This the original gutter:
Hightop Gutter 1.jpg
Hightop Gutter 1.jpg (17.05 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
This is what was and still is on the website (Schofields and others):
Replacement Image.jpg
Replacement Image.jpg (10.57 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
This is more like what I was sent:
Replacement Actual.jpg
Replacement Actual.jpg (21.86 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
The second problem is that the inner section of the metal hightop roof is angled differently and that the flat section (the actual gutter itself) is wider on the hightop gutter - I knew I would have to deal with this because it has to be like this so the fibreglass roof can fit into it.
Has anyone any ideas to tackle this? Perhaps I could cut the bought repair section where it turns up towards the roof and then make up and weld in a new piece to extend it and take it up towards the roof at a different angle? Or is there some other way of doing this?
An easier better way maybe?!
I know this sounds complicated but maybe someone who has tacked this before would understand and could say how they did it?
Thanks!!
1991 Westfalia California Hightop1.9tdi

YellowVan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Repairing gutters on Westfalia hightop

Post by YellowVan »

Hi,

Perhaps the following images of a repair on my van (1981) I've been working on recently can be of some help. I had to deal with the same issue:

I made the cut just under the 'crease' of the roof. The only trouble I'm still facing is the edges:

These are too hard to really recreate I believe. Best of luck and keep us posted.