Engine vents ?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Da dan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Engine vents ?

Post by Da dan »

I’ve attached a picture to show you my thoughts. I’ve only just realised that the vents look like they are upside down which I thought was my mistake when I took them off. Meaning the water run off goes in to the engine bay. Trying to turn them to which I thought was the right way round they do not go. So my question is, is this just a design fault in the fact that it encourages the water to run into the engine bay or are these the wrong vents if so which ones do I need where can I get them? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: Engine vents ?

Post by davidoft1 »

They are designed to encourage air flow into the engine bay, they let water in, but there is provision for the water to get back out via holes in the panels

Da dan

Post by Da dan »

Fair enough if that is the case just seems a little silly to me. But what do I know

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

Worth having a look at this little mod:

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=154402" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'86 DG, Weber Carb

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

I read somewhere that the vents were to allow hot air to vent out particularly when in slow moving traffic or idling, cooler air from beneath would be drawn into the bay to complete the airflow.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

There have been extensive discussions on samba about these vents, with people using pressure gauges and telltale threads to try to workout whether there is any point in, for example, fitting external scoops.

The consensus, if it can be described as such, is that you cannot generalise as the air flow direction depends on engine type, i.e. Aircooled or water-cooled, what tinware is fitted, speed of travel, etc, etc. In some situations the heat seems to be vented up and out, possibly helped by relatively low pressure along the body of the van and higher pressure under the van, whereas in other situations the air flow seems to go into the vents and down, probably helped by lower pressure at the underside / rear of the van.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Da dan

Post by Da dan »

Thanks for that link. So no is the answer, they are the right way. But although they don’t fully work on water cooled they still help to keep it a little cooler. I like the idea of jamming open the rear flap to increase flow thus cooler engine temp. Thanks

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I put a set of scoops on my vents, looked good - did absolutely nothing for cooling or performance but I do run a cool ADY motor.

I always found the best way of managing the motor temp on the JX diesel was to drive to the temperature gauge - if it goes high slow down - mind you it did lead me driving on the hard shoulder over the Brenner pass.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Engine vents ?

Post by Mocki »

They pretty much do nothing on a wbx , both mine are restricted , Battery one side and heating fuel tank the other
Not ever had any over heating issues even when queuing in the hottest weather last year .....

Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

Titus A Duxass wrote:I always found the best way of managing the motor temp on the JX diesel was to drive to the temperature gauge - if it goes high slow down - mind you it did lead me driving on the hard shoulder over the Brenner pass.

We do the same - keeping below about 2200 rpm seems to keep the temperature from climbing whatever the grade.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro