Welding on a gearbox

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Walrus
80-90 Mem No: 5972

Welding on a gearbox

Post by Walrus »

Not a T25 question but for a T4 - not had much response on the T4 forums so thought I would ask the knowledable (and more active!) people here...
Part of the housing for the starter motor has broken off the gearbox, where one of the 3 bolts that hold the starter on goes through. The casting is part of the gearbox itself, so replacing the casting means replacing the gearbox.

Can this be welded? I assume so, (TIG welded) but will it be difficult and, probably more important, expensive?

I've heard/read good things regarding JB Weld (epoxy)... cheap too...
1991 2.1 LPG Syncro (aka Beaker) ...and... 1998 1.9TD T4 (aka Daisy)

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Welding on a gearbox

Post by itchyfeet »

Yes it can be welded but needs somebody experienced in this work.

Not a great pic hard to see what it is, sometimes a plate can be made to replace the fixing point depending what it is.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Yep, TIG welding can be done, though the availability of skilled labour will vary with location. Loads in my part of the world, probably less available in yours. Price can vary a lot too.

You can effect a decent repair with chemical metal too. I repaired a cylinder head on a compressor with it about 4 years ago. Not a lot else you can do with cast iron. unless you know someone with knowledge of the old trades (best place would be West Midlands)

If there's three bolts for the starter, then I would try chemical metal first. Go for the standard / 24 hour stuff, clean up the joint / extremities, and then bond together after the epoxy has had a little time to go off, probably using the other two of the three bolts to hold components in place.

In fact, now I remember that I did a similar exercise on a starter motor about 4 months ago. Only two bolts in this case, one had worn threads in the starter, the other had a snapped flange as a consequence. I bonded it together just to get the car mobile which worked. I've not moved it since.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Walrus

Post by Walrus »

I'm coming round to the idea of trying the epoxy - if it doesn't stick it cant make it much worse (apart from I'd have to grind it off before a 'proper' fix could be done). The starter works ok at the moment with just the 2 bolts, but I can see it going the same way the last one did - that siezed up as it gradually twisted and wore unevenly until the van turned over like molasses in winter and wouldn't fire. Current expected starter life 2-3 years (had a replacement engine fitted 3 years ago, so it was probably broken then). And it'll only cost me £20 + 48 hours of time if it works... but I accept it is a 'bodge fix' and may not be permenant.

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Southern pricing :D I pay about a fiver for my JB weld.

I think you are much better off doing the repair job now, as it will only get more expensive. You will have to decide whether doing it in the van or off is easier /more likely to give a better repair. Be aware the gravity will play its part as the epoxy will still flow even when quite well set, just like a glacier. That worked for me when doing the compressor cylinder head.

Good luck :)
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Walrus

Post by Walrus »

937carrera wrote:Southern pricing :D I pay about a fiver for my JB weld.)

£20 includes solvent to clean it with, putty to help hold a shape while it's wet and a s/s M8 bolt to fix the starter to (not going to try drilling/tapping it!) ;-)

King Kenny
80-90 Mem No: 10965

Post by King Kenny »

Have a look at LUMIWELD. I have used this to repair a fin on my Triumph Bonneville rocker box.
I don't know where I am, but I'm having a lovely time!

1990 CARAVELLE 1.9cc petrol : watercooled