OEM or aftermarket sliding door handle?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mw999
80-90 Mem No: 16439

OEM or aftermarket sliding door handle?

Post by Mw999 »

Hi everyone,

Question as above really, too much play laterally in the handle at risk of touching the door panel

I’ve tightened up the securing screw in the inside but haven’t taken the handle out yet but expecting to need to replace.

Just wondering bearing in mind the price differential on BW if the aftermarket handles are a poor replacement and it’s worth spending more to get the OEM

Martin
SA Caravelle Syncro 2.5 SOHC Subaru

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Re: OEM or aftermarket sliding door handle?

Post by ash1293 »

I've got the BW cheaper 'alternative' and bar a couple of niggles I've been very happy for the price paid.

Benefits:
Very cheap and includes new lock.
Quality seems ok.
Lock barrel could be reworked so it matches my replacement cab handles - ( 2 for £23 delivered from poland on ebay)

Drawbacks I experienced:
Very minor but the ones listed on BW are for a right slider, not left like most uk models. You can still use the handle but to lock/unlock you turn the key the other way to original.
On mine when turning the key it was a little hit/miss if it would operate the lock mechanism. Possibly wear on mech rather than new handle or maybe as a consequence of turning handle upside down to use on a left slider? Fairly easy to sort out either way by adding a bit of material to the lock lever, makes more sense when faced with it, I used a small section of pvc tube but a small wrap of brass/tin would do the same.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: OEM or aftermarket sliding door handle?

Post by multisi »

There is a new genuine rhd late handle on ebay.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon