£4300 for welding

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

£4300 for welding

Post by sarahandthebear »

We need a few jobs done on the van the main one being the front window as it leaks. The welder quoted us worst case scenario £1200 for the front window. He did say worst case scenario means taking the dash out which is fair enough. But he had a look around the van and said it was very solid we just need a few jobs here and there which I will take pictures of and put up on here at the weekend for all to see. Both back wheel arches need doing and near the petrol cap is rusted but he thinks maybe not to bad depending on what he finds when he takes it back. For all this he quoted £4300. Now we know that the body work on these vans can run up to a very big bill but is this about right as we have had friends who's vans are really bad and quoted £1800 for repairs. This guys Runs a very respectable classic car repair shop and his work looks very good to a high standerd. Any ideas is he ripping us off or is this about right :ok I'll upload pictures at the weekend so you can all see the work needed
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

sarahandthebear

Re: £4300 for welding

I forgot to say the added vat was £750

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

sounds a hellav a lot but there is often so much more rust under what you can see.

you need to get some pics up of the van

if that's not painted price then add quite a bit more for paint.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

sarahandthebear

ill get some pictures up on Saturday I'm at work tomorrow and it will be dark by the time I get home

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

That seems like a hell of a lot of money for the work being done to me. Is that to cut out all of the metal and replace with new panels/fabricate metal and are they supplying the panels?!

I’d deffo shop around for some more quotes - i’d also say that you’ll provide the panels.
'86 DG, Weber Carb

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Post by fazzer »

If he was doing an e type jag or the like then yes if you can afford a car like that you can afford the welding bill.Whats the van worth after all this expensive welding has been done.With paint your looking at around 8 grand.i restored a splitty pickup replacing every panel and cost no where near that price,do you know there hourly rate.

sarahandthebear

fazzer wrote:If he was doing an e type jag or the like then yes if you can afford a car like that you can afford the welding bill.Whats the van worth after all this expensive welding has been done.With paint your looking at around 8 grand.i restored a splitty pickup replacing every panel and cost no where near that price,do you know there hourly rate.

I'm glad we're not the only ones who thinks this is pricy his hourly rate is £60. Buy the looks of things heroes on very expensive classic cars and your right if you can afford a car like that this is small change.

sarahandthebear

300CE wrote:That seems like a hell of a lot of money for the work being done to me. Is that to cut out all of the metal and replace with new panels/fabricate metal and are they supplying the panels?!

I’d deffo shop around for some more quotes - i’d also say that you’ll provide the panels.

He wants to cut out the metal and remove all the rust. We wanted to get the parts ourselves but It seems like he has added them into the price. Once finished he treats the part with a paint that prevents rust apparently. We have no problems paying the price as we know it is a skill and if I could do it myself I would but I think the van would rot away before I was ready :rofl we just think it seems expensive for the jobs we need

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Post by fazzer »

Any decent welder will remove all rot and treat panels to rust protection I use a zinc spray fiver a tin.personally I'd shop around a bit first 4300 mite go up a bit when they start digging.

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

bodywork is a black art, these vans are not your usual design, the panels are sandwiched in a certain order in places, so very ofter a quote is way way out on what it really costs, and you can never see what is there untill its being swept up off the workshop floor, but i would look at a second opinion, because that would want to be a top notch job, i know folk that have had whole rear ends replaced from the "C" post back to the bumper and the bill wasnt that much........
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

For anyone with a rusty left hand drive van perhaps you should consider buying a dry states import, with the amount of work involved to restore your own van and the hourly rate that quality restorers are charging it would make more sense to start afresh with a really solid base vehicle. Your rusty van may need more expensive work doing in the future, at first it could be outer panels then later on the rear chassis jacking area could need doing along with the inner sills etc etc. Not sure who imports dry vehicles now but maybe worth checking out before chucking huge amounts of cash at a rusty lhd van.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

rowlesy
80-90 Mem No: 1289

Post by rowlesy »

as a welder fabricator with experience of these busses i would say that is a restoration price. i would hazard a guess that if theres a rusty bit in a panel the whole panel will be replaced. i was going to say you get what you pay for but sadly there is a lot of cowboys about. ive seen my fair share of bodges and questionable repairs..... i got into one bus a while back and i found chicken wire filler and expanding foam! the restoration guys have to cover their backs because if a price is in writing it stands.... even i say my quotes are an estimated cost and feel as though i have to back up what ive done with pictures to justify the costs. most of the repairs ive done usually never get seen and they take the longest.... couldnt tell you how many rear jacking points ive rebuilt and then covered up all my pretty work with a £15 panel! best to shop around but more important to get recommendations.
everytime you masterbate god kills a kitten! member 1289 does this still mean owt?