Removing Sliding Door

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Removing Sliding Door

Post by garyd »

OK - memory is failing me. I seem to recall reading that there is a way to remove the (late type, 1990) sliding door without dismantling everything.

I think it was a case of remove the waist track cover panel and the rubber bump stop at the back of the bottom track. This should let the door to open a bit further than normal and allow the bottom roller to be disengaged from the bottom track.

Easing the bottom of the door out & down would disengage the top roller and a further tilt of the door (forward & down) would disengage the horizontal rollers from the waist track and allow the vertical roller to be lifted off.

It almost seems too simple. Can anyone please confirm that I have remembered correctly and not made this up?

thanks
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Re: Removing Sliding Door

Post by ZsZ »

- remove bottom stop and runner cover
- slide door back about half of the track where there is an indent above the track
- raise the roller assembly and flip the big roller outfrom the rail
- pull the door towards the rear of the van until the end then slide out the rear roller
thats it
its possible to do alone but better if you have a helper
:ok
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Removing Sliding Door

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I just went round a corner and mine just flew off! I think that doing it correctly has advantages like not having to straighten a bent door. :lol:
Handy to have a cushioned step at the height of the bottom of the door to rest it on as it is heavy to jiggle about on your own.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶