Filler in rear corners

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

The Hairy Camper
80-90 Mem No: 16820

Filler in rear corners

Post by The Hairy Camper »

So I went at the rear corners during my lunchtime today. Looks like the corners had rusted and someone has used a fair amount of filler to cover it up.
I should be able to source some decent replacement panels, but is it pretty straight forward to cut out and weld in?

Cheers.
1984 Autosleeper, pop-top, 1.7 KY, 5-Speed

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Filler in rear corners

Post by multisi »

Have you checked the rear jacking area for rust, there is a recessed plastic plug in the lower area of the wheel arch, prise it out and check.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

The Hairy Camper
80-90 Mem No: 16820

Post by The Hairy Camper »

Cheers multisi, i will try and have a look for it in the daylight.

Do you think i'll be able to fix the damage here ok if i get hold of some good replacement panels? I don't think anything is structural?
1984 Autosleeper, pop-top, 1.7 KY, 5-Speed

adie89
80-90 Mem No: 11532

Post by adie89 »

It looks like the rear right corner has a weld line right through the middle of that chipguard. The lower corners are ‘cosmetic’ just take it on one panel at a time, so fix what you’ve found rear left first otherwise it will become very overwhelming very quickly.
As for structural it depends on the inner panel, if that’s goosed too the whole thing is reliant on the boot door frame and rear quarter. Inside the air vent bit that you can see through the rear light cluster opening, that attaches to the chassis. Someone else on here has just found that job and it had corroded the chassis rails quite a lot too.
Greta: 85’ LHD 2.5L Subaru 14in Syncro
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165773