Combicolor question re. seamsealer

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Combicolor question re. seamsealer

Post by syncroandy »

Just a quick question to those on here experienced with using Rustoleum Combicolor.

I'm using it brushed on after a few bits of welding under my kombi, and applied over Upol grey stripe, I've experienced an extended time (a couple of weeks) until the paint hardened. For some other areas I'm now doing, I'm planning to use Sikaflex 221, with Combicolor on top, and I'd be interested to hear of others experience of this.

I'd also be interested to know of any success folk have had with any aerosol 'stone guard' products with Combicolor on top.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

Michael4
80-90 Mem No: 16731

Re: Combicolor question re. seamsealer

Post by Michael4 »

Some of the Sikaflexes go very soft if overpainted by certain paints even if they have hardened beforehand.

I am no help, can't remember which Sika (mebbe 291i?) nor can I remember which paint, just remember the aftermath.
1985 1.9 DG Devon Moonraker with solid sided pop top

adie89
80-90 Mem No: 11532

Post by adie89 »

It’s worth considering the weather conditions. Paint takes a lot longer to go off in cooler/damper conditions. To the point where some paints will not go off at below certain temperatures as the water or solvents can’t evaporate out of the paint. The same will apply with curing time for seam sealers, some are over paintable after a short period but they will state the temperature conditions required for that to happen. A heat gun on a low setting moved around a lot will help, cure times and temperatures will be available in the data sheet.
Greta: 85’ LHD 2.5L Subaru 14in Syncro
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165773

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

I had this problem with mine. I tried a few different pu sealants and even ct1 and tek7. It took ages for the rustoleum to dry on all of them. So I'd put a primer on first.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop