Removing Engine Bars

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

The Hairy Camper
80-90 Mem No: 16820

Removing Engine Bars

Post by The Hairy Camper »

So i removed the engine from my van recently, had to unbolt the engine bars as the bolts holding the engine in were nice and rusty :D

I'm sorting the rust and wanted to remove (and replace) the old bolts. I managed to remove some old bolts and one engine bar came off but the bar below will not budge?

I tried plus gas, a hammer and putting all my weight on it...nothing. Any ideas??

Cheers.
1984 Autosleeper, pop-top, 1.7 KY, 5-Speed

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Re: Removing Engine Bars

Post by RogerT »

Heat?

If you’ve a plan to replace the bolt could you use a destructive method? Drill/grinder?
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

The Hairy Camper

RogerT wrote:Heat?

If you’ve a plan to replace the bolt could you use a destructive method? Drill/grinder?

Cheers Roger, heat is probably the next thing i should try. I don't think an angle grinder will help? The gap underneath is petty tight, and the bolts and washer (on top) have been removed now. Crowbar?

I think there is a square metal washer on top of the rubber mount which might of seized? On the other side it just crumbled when i took the bar off.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Where is the problem? Nut or head of the bolt?
If it is the head just angle grind into it vertically rather than horizontally making several cuts then wrench the head off. You don't need to get underneath the head at all. I should think that the bolt is seized inside the mount rather than the bracket on the bar. By the look of most of the underneath replacement mounts will be needed anyway so no need to be gentle with it.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

The Hairy Camper

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Where is the problem? Nut or head of the bolt?
If it is the head just angle grind into it vertically rather than horizontally making several cuts then wrench the head off. You don't need to get underneath the head at all. I should think that the bolt is seized inside the mount rather than the bracket on the bar. By the look of most of the underneath replacement mounts will be needed anyway so no need to be gentle with it.

The bolt or underside i believe. Nut and washer have been removed and i've applied tons of plus gas...but despite the other bar coming off easy, this one won't budge? Heat and a crowbar next i think.

Any idea what type of washer goes on top of the rubber engine mount? I'm sure there is one there, but i can't find it online anywhere?

The Hairy Camper

Got the bugger off with a crowbar in the end :D

Went at them for an hour with my new polycarbide disc for my angle grinder today.

Before:
After: