'pastel white' doesn't match - any suggestion??

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Just_Kitt
80-90 Mem No: 16672

Post by Just_Kitt »

I'm re-doing a wheel arch on the van (needed to be bent out after some clever fool went into the side of it) and the HYCOTE Double Acrylic Volkswagen Pastel White that I brought just seems to be way to yellow/cream to match!

My vin plate clearly states it was factory sprayed L90D- but that was in 1990... Any suggestions?? Any one else had this problem?

Photo here - https://ibb.co/jgWA69" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GokVan: 1990 LHD, Pop-Top, Golf GTI 2.0L engine running duel Petrol and LPG.
Instagram: @Gok_Van

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: 'pastle white' doesn't match - any suggestion??

Post by 937carrera »

Go to a motor factors who can mix paint to match your van. The will have a spectrometer to identify the colour.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

I've seen reference that there may also be two versions of L90D - a light version and a more cream version.

If you can't get it to someone to match the colour then we've found the Halfords Pastel White rattle cans to be a fairly close match to our van, so it might be worth doing a small test with one of those as a top coat?
Last edited by clift_d on 13 Oct 2018, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Highroller
80-90 Mem No: 12833

Re: 'pastel white' doesn't match - any suggestion??

Post by Highroller »

I was under the impression that LD90 came in pastel white pre 1985 and arctic white post 1985 but this might be another urban myth.
1991 2.1 WBX Devon microbus twinslider hightop

Ian and Lins
80-90 Mem No: 3532

Post by Ian and Lins »

937carrera wrote:Go to a motor factors who can mix paint to match your van. The will have a spectrometer to identify the colour.
That's the way to do it! The original paint will have faded/changed due to UV light, Global Warming, Brexit and any other factors. Try using the factory paint codes to match a 1990s Triumph Daytona Strontium Yellow to see how bad a difference it can be.
Are we going on anything else?

1985 Petrol 1.9 A/S Hightop

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

My paint factors (Ketts) have two shades of VW Pastel White available, L90D Light is the one I use and is a perfect match for my van, the std L90D is too 'cream'. Getting it mixed to get a perfect match is probably your best option.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Jawel paints also have two shades and again the light one is a good match. But bear in mind Pastel white does fade.

1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Just_Kitt
80-90 Mem No: 16672

Post by Just_Kitt »

Yer was really hoping I wouldn't have to get a paint match! I'm doing a full re-spray over the winter so this is only for a few months!
I'll try a 'light' pastel white colour and a Halfords one as well - it's only a small bit so might just try a few different test patches and go for the closest match for now!
GokVan: 1990 LHD, Pop-Top, Golf GTI 2.0L engine running duel Petrol and LPG.
Instagram: @Gok_Van

bhpdub
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 11205

Post by bhpdub »

Ian and Lins wrote:
937carrera wrote:Go to a motor factors who can mix paint to match your van. The will have a spectrometer to identify the colour.
That's the way to do it! The original paint will have faded/changed due to UV light, Global Warming, Brexit and any other factors. Try using the factory paint codes to match a 1990s Triumph Daytona Strontium Yellow to see how bad a difference it can be.

If you go to Autosupplies in Bolsover Ian, with any piece of the car/bike that you are trying to match (I normally match the sliding rail covers on T25's)
They will "camera" the paint on your part, and mix the paint to match.
They will tell you what percentage the match is (Normally, 97-99%) before mixing the paint for you.
They are at the bottom of the hill, on the same side of road as the Castle. (Turn left on the island at the bottom of the road) :ok

https://www.auto-supplies.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(They are nothing to do with me, just giving them a heads up as they have always provided excellent service to me)

Ian and Lins
80-90 Mem No: 3532

Post by Ian and Lins »

bhpdub wrote:
Ian and Lins wrote:

If you go to Autosupplies in Bolsover Ian, with any piece of the car/bike that you are trying to match (I normally match the sliding rail covers on T25's)
They will "camera" the paint on your part, and mix the paint to match.
They will tell you what percentage the match is (Normally, 97-99%) before mixing the paint for you.
They are at the bottom of the hill, on the same side of road as the Castle. (Turn left on the island at the bottom of the road) :ok

https://www.auto-supplies.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(They are nothing to do with me, just giving them a heads up as they have always provided excellent service to me)

Hey i know them but didn't know they matched paint. The bike is 2001 so seen a lot of atmosphere etc. Thanks for the info. :ok
Are we going on anything else?

1985 Petrol 1.9 A/S Hightop