High top leaks

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: High top leaks

Post by AngeloEvs »

Last year, whilst running new cables behind the roof panels on my Autohomes Karisma, I noticed water along the inner roof line so checked for leaks and the extent of any corrosion. I removed old sealant and replaced it where posible and also sprayed along the inner roof line (both sides) with Dinitrol cavity wax which has excellent creep properties. I would love to remove the top and do it properley, next year may be but untill then my main focus was 'damage limitation'.

Rather than fill the gutters level with sealant I used lengths of L shaped plastic (B&Q) and bonded them to the Hi Top Lip that sits in the gutter and sealed both ends. The Gutters are thus fully sealed. Following all the heavy rain I removed the interior High Top panels and so far so good, no water.

The Autohomes high top is bonded along the gutters only with the front and rear having seals. I have left a gap at the rear corners to allow any water that may get in a means of escape, you can see the gap in the picture just above where the rear of the gutter ends

Imageguttering by Angelo Evans, on Flickr
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

salgarfi
80-90 Mem No: 9241

Post by salgarfi »

[quote="AngeloEvs"]The Autohomes high top is bonded along the gutters only with the front and rear having seals.

I wonder if this is also the case with AutoSleepers?
1990 2.1 Ltr WBX AutoSleeper High Top

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

Hi
Auto sleepers had pop rivets along front and back behind the outer lip of the the seal. These rusted and let the water in.
I removed my rivets years ago and replaced with Tiger seal.
I also removed the ply 'flooring' inside the roof, front and back, and added sealant inside. I seem to remember that there was some original sealant along the inside at the front and back.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

salgarfi

Post by salgarfi »

kentishvanman wrote:Hi
Auto sleepers had pop rivets along front and back behind the outer lip of the the seal. These rusted and let the water in.
I removed my rivets years ago and replaced with Tiger seal.
I also removed the ply 'flooring' inside the roof, front and back, and added sealant inside. I seem to remember that there was some original sealant along the inside at the front and back.

Thanks for this, but how did you finish off the very front of the high top, where originally, there was a rubber seal? I've put sikkaflex over this area but I even get water seeping out of that over the front of the A posts. Also, how easy is it to take apart the front and back 'flooring'?

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

Hiya,

Thanks for this, but how did you finish off the very front of the high top, where originally, there was a rubber seal? I've put sikkaflex over this area but I even get water seeping out of that over the front of the A posts. Also, how easy is it to take apart the front and back 'flooring'?[/quote]

The front was finished off with the usual wet finger joint.
If you so require I will email a photo. Cannot get the hang of doing photos on here.
Floor removal. Take off the vertical board at the front. Easier, if I remember, to remove the crockery cupboard first. Just hunt around for the screws. The floor is screwed to a couple of battens that sit crossways on the tin top. The screws maybe under the carpet lining. Torch and feel. Ditto the back floor. It comes out fairly easily. If you can't move it there is still a screw somwhere. I think both floors are in two pieces.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

salgarfi

Post by salgarfi »

kentishvanman wrote:Hiya,

Thanks for this, but how did you finish off the very front of the high top, where originally, there was a rubber seal? I've put sikkaflex over this area but I even get water seeping out of that over the front of the A posts. Also, how easy is it to take apart the front and back 'flooring'?

The front was finished off with the usual wet finger joint.
If you so require I will email a photo. Cannot get the hang of doing photos on here.
Floor removal. Take off the vertical board at the front. Easier, if I remember, to remove the crockery cupboard first. Just hunt around for the screws. The floor is screwed to a couple of battens that sit crossways on the tin top. The screws maybe under the carpet lining. Torch and feel. Ditto the back floor. It comes out fairly easily. If you can't move it there is still a screw somwhere. I think both floors are in two pieces.[/quote]

Howdy,

Thanks for the info and offering to send a photo. I've PMed you with my email address. If you can send a picture that would be great. I'll maybe also have to learn the 'wet finger' method!