Refurbing cab seats

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Refurbing cab seats

Post by mariner »

Hi all, just wondering whether anyone has any experience of this.

I’ve been quoted £550 to re-cover the back seat and large cushion which seems fair. I’ve also been quoted £650 to re-cover both cab seats - again, seems fair.

However, with the cab seats the company say they can’t do anything about the foam innards and can only re-cover what is there. They have said any replacement foam/padding would need to come from original manufacturers. The base of each seat is ok tbh but the backs are poor with little support. If you put your hand up against the backs all you can feel is the springs - would there have been any padding originally?

Would appreciate people’s thoughts. Not wedded to the original seats so wonder whether replacing them for something else could be a cheaper, more comfortable option?
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Refurbing cab seats

Post by multisi »

You could get a nice pair of late style captains seats with armrests for less than they quoted ! It sounds like you have the early seats, better to look for the later seats with the larger foam base.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

Give Simon a call at VW Bus Bits for a quote - based in Dorset so not too far away from you:

http://www.vwbusbits.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Real nice chap and knows his stuff - tell him Justin with the blue camper recommended him.
'86 DG, Weber Carb

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Post by mariner »

Cheers guys. Fancy a complete overhaul now 8)
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

petethefeet
80-90 Mem No: 12639

Post by petethefeet »

Hi,
The seat base foam pads are available for the early seats as I got some from a place in Germany, not cheap but transformed the seats. The two front seats were recovered by Bromsgrove Auto Trimmers, vinyl sides with fabric base and back. The backs were re fitted with new padding from a roll of standard padding. They charged approx £400 for the pair the other year.
I am happy with the job they did and the service :ok
1982 2 litre CU Auto Devon Moonraker called Brian