Leaking kitchen window

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Soamesy
80-90 Mem No: 17029

Leaking kitchen window

Post by Soamesy »

Hi All,
My recently acquired 1990 trident autosleeper has a small leak at the bottom left corner of the sliding kitchen window. There is also water sat in the inside channel where the window sits when you slide it. Any recommendations on what to do would be good! Im thinking some kind of sealant or replacement seals?
Thanks
George
1990 Trident Autosleeper, 1.9 petrol.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Leaking kitchen window

Post by AngeloEvs »

Sliding window frames vary but mine has slots in the outer frame to allow water to drain out of the channels, I added a few extra drain holes in the outer frame. The inner section on my frame has a 30mm tall section on the lower edge which runs along the entire length of the window to prevent water runnng out of the channel into the van. Where ths section met the front and rear vertical parts of the frame I noticed it was not properly sealed so added silkaflex.

Check yours has this section, if not then you could add a piece yourself.

Next time there is a shower might be worth looking to see exactly where the water is getting in, if it is the seals then its best to replace them. As a temporary measure you could run some vaseline along the upper and side sections of the seal wherever there appears to be gaps between the seal and body.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

adie89
80-90 Mem No: 11532

Post by adie89 »

If your seals are old they will shrink and leave gaps in the corner allowing water in, which will then seep around the frame and seal. New seals and check the frame is nice and smooth.
Greta: 85’ LHD 2.5L Subaru 14in Syncro
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165773

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

I used Sikaflex / PU sealant, applied carefully

Stopped the leak on my AutoSleeper :)
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine