Window seals and trims

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Wesley
80-90 Mem No: 0

Window seals and trims

Post by Wesley »

Hi all,

Hoping someone can clarify something for me please.

My van has gone in today for some rust repairs and a full re spray. I thought while all the window seals are off they may as well be replaced(a couple leak a little). I have been looking up some bits on this and some say make sure you get the right ones (obviously), ie is it a deluxe model etc etc. How can I tell if it’s a deluxe model I have? All I know is it’s a 1989 1.9 petrol caravelle. It has the small triangle windows in the front next to the main windows , the slide windows next to the first row of 2 seats in the back, then fixed Windows next to the back row of seats. It does have a rear wiper on the back window and I notice driving around many do not.

Anyway, any help, tips advice would be greatly appreciated. Especially if there is anything else that should be replaced while all the trims/windows are out.

Cheers all
Wesley

adie89
80-90 Mem No: 11532

Re: Window seals and trims

Post by adie89 »

Deluxe model has the push in silver trim in the seals, chrome bumpers with black rub strips. Normal is black bumpers, black seals.
They’re all the same and it’s up to you if your changing the lot. I personally changed to standard seals as all my chrome trim was buggered on the windows and I never liked it anyway.
Greta: 85’ LHD 2.5L Subaru 14in Syncro
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165773

Wesley

Post by Wesley »

Thanks adie89,

I’m even more confused then as mine has body colour bumpers , although it does have slightly rusty chrome trim set around the windows.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Don't be in a rush to change the original vw rubbers, they are very good quality and last a long time even in sunny climates, to cure the leaks put some flexible black windscreen sealant behind the rubbers.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

adie89
80-90 Mem No: 11532

Post by adie89 »

Following this though, look for really old seals shrinking. This will leave a very small gap in the curve of the corners, allow water in the frame recess and rot it out. The seals should be a very snug fit, firmly sat in the recess with no gap
Greta: 85’ LHD 2.5L Subaru 14in Syncro
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165773

multisi

Post by multisi »

From new the seals can let water in, people fit new quality seals and complain that they still let water in , so that's why its best to use lots of flexible sealant.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Paule39

Post by Paule39 »

Wesley wrote:Hi all,

Hoping someone can clarify something for me please.

My van has gone in today for some rust repairs and a full re spray. I thought while all the window seals are off they may as well be replaced(a couple leak a little). I have been looking up some bits on this and some say make sure you get the right ones (obviously), ie is it a deluxe model etc etc. How can I tell if it’s a deluxe model I have? All I know is it’s a 1989 1.9 petrol caravelle. It has the small triangle windows in the front next to the main windows , the slide windows next to the first row of 2 seats in the back, then fixed Windows next to the back row of seats. It does have a rear wiper on the back window and I notice driving around many do not.

Anyway, any help, tips advice would be greatly appreciated. Especially if there is anything else that should be replaced while all the trims/windows are out.

Cheers all
Wesley

Hi,
Cant help with the window seals, Im afraid, but would be interested to know a bit more about the respray - I am also considering one on mine (rust spots on all panels, nothing major but as its all panels, would need to do a full respray and deal with the rust - so not just grind it out and cover it up :D ).
Have not had any quotes yet, but was wondering what sort of ballpark figure to think of....? Thanks in advance!! :ok

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Talk to Chris. He does them all. Best quality too: http://www.volkswagenemporium.co.uk/sho ... php?cat=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - not sure if he has the side ones. You'll need to ask him as he seems to be able to source seals no one else appears to stock.

I have a deluxe too ;) And I agree, fitting seals without sealant is foolhardy. Looking back, the main reason VW did not was partly cost and lack of modern materials. These vehicles are now too precious to risk a leak after bodywork repairs and painting.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Wesley

Post by Wesley »

Hi All,

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I am going to re use the old seals if possible and put back on using sealant as everyone is suggesting. There is only 1 small leak currently on the front passenger little corner window, so I assume the rest must be good.

As for price Paule39 - a friend of a friend (owns his own garage welding and re sprays) has quoted me £3500. He is doing me mate rates though. Van needs various areas of rust on panels /window frame areas / new outer sill on drivers side - both front floor pans and step (I am sourcing the floor pans and steps). Then Full re spray top to bottom. There are several minor dents also and a cracked front bumper he is sorting also.

He has a good reputation so I am optimistic it will look great when done. I can keep you posted if you want?

Cheers
Wesley

multisi

Post by multisi »

The scraper seals on the cab doors tend to deteriorate so it would be best to fit new ones if the old ones have been taken off for the respray. Brickwerks stock good ones . Just checked the shop site and it seems they don't stock the main top scraper seal for models with chrome trim !

Wesley

Post by Wesley »

Hi all,

Sorry it’s been awhile since the last post re the welding & respray. Just got the van back this weekend and the guy I spoke about has done an amazing job. Van looks incredible :)

If anyone is in need of a his number let me know and I will pass it on - can’t recommend him enough.

Cheers
Wes

H Julia
80-90 Mem No: 9943

Post by H Julia »

Hi Wes,
Great that you're really pleased with the work on your van.
Can you tell me whereabouts the guy is based who did the work?
Cheers,
Julia
1981 2.0 l air cooled Devon

Wesley

Post by Wesley »

Hi Julia,

No worries - his workshop is over near Thorpe Park. Spoke with him again today and he loved fixing up the van so much he has now bought his own one.

Where are you based? I can send you his number.

Cheers
Wesley

Bluebell1983

Post by Bluebell1983 »

Could you pm me his number as we are looking for someone to carry out similar works to our van