Refurbished my Porsche steering wheel

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bobby-gg
80-90 Mem No: 11794

Refurbished my Porsche steering wheel

Post by bobby-gg »

I picked this up very cheap at my local scrapyard a while back, used it last summer but the leather was really bad, eventually plucked up the courage to recover it using a cover from ebay

It's not perfect but I'm very happy with it

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Re: Refurbished my Porsche steering wheel

Post by what2do »

Looks great but where's the 'before' picture?
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

chris7ian
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by chris7ian »

I've been toying with the idea of one of those leather ebay covers... I figured they wouldn't look right around the 4-spokes of the Porsche wheel but that doesn't actually look bad... makes it chunkier too... hmmm :idea:
1989 2.1 MV Auto

bobby-gg
80-90 Mem No: 11794

Post by bobby-gg »

chris7ian wrote:I've been toying with the idea of one of those leather ebay covers... I figured they wouldn't look right around the 4-spokes of the Porsche wheel but that doesn't actually look bad... makes it chunkier too... hmmm :idea:

I was really apprehensive about using one of these covers too since I'd never managed to find any pictures of the 4 spoke one either, but when ebay came up with one of their 10% off everything codes the cover came in at £22.50, with a 30day money back return if you weren't happy with the results, I figured I had nothing to loose.

I actually ended up sewing it on three times, the first time I wasn't happy with my stitching, the seam at the bottom, or the fact that my original leather was worn away at the top where it had dried out and you could see it under the new cover.

What I ended up doing was cutting back the original leather, leaving it only around the inside of the rim and there spokes, and cutting the original seam away too, so when I pulled the stitching tight the leather "lay" much better, but I still wasn't happy with the stitching the 2nd time so ended up doing it a 3rd time.

I did mine off the van thinking it would be easier, but in hindsight I think I just made it harder for myself as I struggled to get the tension on the stitching, so much so I ended up get blisters on the side of my little fingers from the pulling it, so if I ever do one again I'll do it on the van, with plenty of work lights in to help see.