Sliding door panel van conversion window and generally fitti

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jackrobbo
80-90 Mem No: 0

Sliding door panel van conversion window and generally fitti

Post by Jackrobbo »

Started putting the van back together as you may have seen In my build thread. However came to a stumble today, my issue is sliding door window.

Seal it came with. A large seal, twice as wide as all of the others. But still with the trim piece like the others.

I want to fit a standard thinnner seal as it will match with all the others..

However it just won’t seem to fit right the window hole is the same size as before if not slightly lager by 3mm. But it just won’t seem to sit in nicely. Do I have to use the larger ugly seal or has anyone got away with the smaller one??

Also are there any top tricks of how to fit them other than a war with screwdrivers Bars and strings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Re: Sliding door panel van conversion window and generally fitti

Post by RogerT »

Swearing helps.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

On a more helpful note, you could start by measuring the window, metal and seal. The gaps in the seal need to be the same width as the thing they are fitting on, sounds obvious I know. Also the root of the seal (the thickness of the bit that fills the gap between the window and metal ) needs to match the size of the gap. You need to measure the window aperture and the size of the glass. The gap is half the difference in height, and you would hope the the difference in width is the same. The shape of the corners needs to match. Aye, I know, this all sounds basic. I have a real horlicks of a van and found one of my windows did not match the aperture at the rear corner when I took it out. Still doesn’t, but I will reshape the aperture at some point in the future.

Seals Direct https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/Index.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; do a vast range. Or try http://www.volkswagenemporium.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; who stock the vewib seals.

And fitting is a "pooh" job. Use a helper, fit the bottom first, expect to drop it and plan accordingly. Fit the seal to the aperture first, secured with tape. Can’t remember how i persuaded the glass in, it was a few years ago, the worst part was fitting the trim strip. Use the correct tool from VW Emporium, and soapy water wiped on with a sponge. Arbomast Autograde is a good sealant that doesn’t harden, ever, if you have problems with water leaking in.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Post by weimarbus »

Have a look at the 'Fitting Claytonrite seals and glass' post 30-6-2018 by Mshaw for extra info :ok
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit