High Top Test Fit - Now Fitted

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ecopod
80-90 Mem No: 0

High Top Test Fit - Now Fitted

Post by Ecopod »

Sheldon top seems a good fit and I was planning to Sikaflex 512 into place. Should I also fit a rubber seal around bottom edge of high top, either all around or above screen. Looks like it needs one now I see it in place and I wasn’t planning on adding any sealant to gutters.

Thanks for any advice/pointers. I have read every high top thread I could find but never found answer.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Ecopod on 05 Aug 2018, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
83 W/C 1.9 DF or DG
4 speed / twin slider bus
Never forget you're unique - just like everyone else

Ecopod

Re: High Top Test Fit

Post by Ecopod »

Fitted a seal (may not be correct one) and definitely looks better at front and sides, doesn’t work so well at rear corners due to shape. Also means much more sealant will be required as top is not hard against van, not a big issue. I’ll check out other seals.

83 W/C 1.9 DF or DG

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Rubber seal on hightop is a tricky one. Water can creep up by capillary action sometimes. It does look good though.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

Doesn't this mean that the roof is resting on the rubber seal, rather than the hi-top sitting directly on to the roof (and being glued to it)?
Will you get as good a 'stick' that way?
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

petethefeet
80-90 Mem No: 12639

Post by petethefeet »

That looks like the seal you have is the same as the one I have on the elevating roof on my Devon. I had a similar problem when I removed and refitted the lower fixed half of the elevating roof. It had a simple C section rubber trim around the edge to make it look better (covers the edge of the fibre galss moulding), that was sealed inside the C to the fibre glass moulding and then on the outside down onto the van roof. The fibre glass part was mechanically fixed to the van with pop rivets (how Devon fitted them).
The C shaped rubber seal was bought online by the metre, quite cheap. All fitted with loads of Stikaflex carefully cleaned up before it went off. Prob not best to use rivets or screws due the the issues of corrosion, I only used them as that was the way it was done before.
1982 2 litre CU Auto Devon Moonraker called Brian

Ecopod

Post by Ecopod »

Thanks for the replies and man you know your stuff. The seal I used is for the pop top that came with the van, it is a Devon by the way and the hinges were riveted in place.

I have been at it again this afternoon and that seal did push the top out from the van a bit so I've decided to go with no seal as this gives a really good tight fit. I'm going to Sikaflex in position tomorrow then run a very thin bead around the outside and see how it looks, if it isn't a complete disaster I'll post a pic. I tried another L shaped seal to see if that would leave a neat finish but that would also need glued in place so didn't seem any point as it just created another lip for water.
83 W/C 1.9 DF or DG

Ecopod

Post by Ecopod »

Hopefully now a fitted high top.

Went without a seal for reasons above, laid top on van and glued inside sides first then wedged blocks into gutter to push sides into glue, glued inside front and back. Ran a bead right round outside, sprayed with soapy suds then ran a finger round. Used three tubes but will probably add more to inside. I’ll be painting outside and will tidy up joins at same time. As the gutters are in good nick and working well I’ve left them clear.

Cheers.

83 W/C 1.9 DF or DG

RogerT

Re: High Top Test Fit - Now Fitted

Post by RogerT »

Nice job! :ok

Ecopod

Post by Ecopod »

Cheers.

Found a little pool of water on engine hatch this morning (quite a bit of rain). There’s never been a leak before so it was definitely after high top was fitted. There were 6 little holes from I assume internal trim previously fitted and one was quite low in gutter area and the extra water coming off back of high top was causing this to leak - now tiger sealed.

83 W/C 1.9 DF or DG

petethefeet
80-90 Mem No: 12639

Post by petethefeet »

The 6 small holes are where Devon pop riveted the over head locker into the van originally and they have a habit of leaking through them. How do I know...........
1982 2 litre CU Auto Devon Moonraker called Brian

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

It was rain coming in which prompted me to start dealing with the rust. Rain coming into the van over the engine cover, with the high top fitted. Capillary action past degraded sealant.

Ecopod

Post by Ecopod »

Ah that's satisfying to know what the holes were for (not so good that you both had leaks). Heavy rain last night and dry this morning so one less issue to deal with. Inside will be very simple so I should spot any ingress before it gets too bad.

Cheers.
83 W/C 1.9 DF or DG