Leaking windscreen??

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

shrig1969
80-90 Mem No: 11920

Leaking windscreen??

Post by shrig1969 »

Whooaaa.... Before you all jump on me about reading up on the wiki, this is slightly different.
I noticed today during the heavy downpour that I had water coming in on the bottom corner of my windscreen. Best description I can give is the water was running down the glass outside, behind the rubber and back up internally causing a small puddle on the dash.
I am hoping others have experienced similar findings due to the extraordinary spell of hot weather we’ve had recently. Could the rubber of shrank slightly?
Windscreen seal was changed a couple of years ago with no leak previously, even after heavier downpours than today.

Fingers crossed !
I am no mechanic, but I try......
1987 1.9DG Hi top 4 speed manual

LostDog
80-90 Mem No: 15548

Re: Leaking windscreen??

Post by LostDog »

I had the same problem after having a new screen fitted last year, even after calling the fitters back out to reseal it. It seemed to come in the passenger side bottom corner and would puddle in my glovebox. I fixed it myself in the end with captain trolley's creeping crack cure. Great stuff and its been leak free since. Got it off Amazon but other places have it too.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Dubworth
80-90 Mem No: 16562

Post by Dubworth »

Another vote for Creeping Crack Cure, great stuff, has fixed numerous leaks from shrinking rubbers on my van, well worth a try before spending larger sums of money.
1985 Sheldon High Top 1.9DF

Smcknighty
80-90 Mem No: 14436

Post by Smcknighty »

The guy who welded my windscreen reccomended this

http://www.arbo.co.uk/arbo-sealants/arbomast-autograde/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yet to actually use it, I’m just storing it like all the rest of the stuff I buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phinw
80-90 Mem No: 16041

Post by phinw »

Smcknighty wrote:The guy who welded my windscreen reccomended this

http://www.arbo.co.uk/arbo-sealants/arbomast-autograde/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yet to actually use it, I’m just storing it like all the rest of the stuff I buy

This is what we did. After welding up a rusty corner I fitted a new quality rubber but it still leaked in exactly the same spot as the OP (perhaps I didn't get the corner profile perfect?) so the window came out again, dried it all out and refitted with arbomast around the whole edge of the seal - now no leaks. Be generous. It makes a bit of mess but cleans up easily with white spirit or WD40.
1988 1.9 DG

shrig1969
80-90 Mem No: 11920

Post by shrig1969 »

Thanks for the replies all.
I don’t fancy taking the windscreen out so I will try the “ creeping crack”
Just been out and pressed on the corner of the seal and water seeped out. I will wait for the next spell of dry weather before attempting it.
I presume you just run a bead against where the glass meets the rubber and let it work it’s magic?
I am no mechanic, but I try......
1987 1.9DG Hi top 4 speed manual

LostDog
80-90 Mem No: 15548

Post by LostDog »

Yeah it finds its way in, really thin stuff. Have a look on YouTube there was a couple of good videos of its use.

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Smcknighty wrote:The guy who welded my windscreen reccomended this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha same here - had it a couple of years along with creeping crack cure
Honorary "Dave"