Rattle can Alpine white/Weiss codes

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

HansT
80-90 Mem No: 0

Rattle can Alpine white/Weiss codes

Post by HansT »

Hi All
Blending and matching over-thirty year old white paint is not exactly fun.
Previously, when touching up the odd blemish Holts HWHI 14 has been a good match. A recent can, with the same code on lid and base of tin gave a distinctly 'apricot white' result. Back to the helpful spares guys - it seems that different codes for Holts alpine white apply, depending on year, so they gave me a tin of HWHI 08. Goldilocks time again - this one is a bit too white...
As the van is still wearing the original factory paint I would like to avoid entire panel resprays unless there is no alternative - even then the old thing deserves a good colour match...
Any one else experienced this? and how did you solve it?
85 1.9 DG petrol Holdsworth Villa
Diesel T4 Caravelle 8 Seater

phinw
80-90 Mem No: 16041

Re: Rattle can Alpine white/Weiss codes

Post by phinw »

I've found the best thing to do is take your van to a place that can match and mix paint. They should have a gadget that can 'read' the colour of the panel. They then mix it exactly and can put it in rattle cans or tins. My local place now has the recipe on file and I can order it for collection. The bottom half of my van was sprayed a nice but non-VW metallic blue by the previous owner and the machine managed to exactly match it.
1988 1.9 DG

HansT

Post by HansT »

Thanks Phinw, really helpful.
What is the name of your paint mixing wizards?
Regards H

phinw

Post by phinw »

I use Colchester Paint and Panels in Essex but I would imagine most big towns will have a Auto paints place tucked away on an industrial estate somewhere.
1988 1.9 DG

adie89
80-90 Mem No: 11532

Post by adie89 »

Have a look behind your glove box. If your still in original paint you may still have the white sticker about A5 size with all you original spec, and paint codes on it. Your local place will match just with that code. Your probably looking something like L90E for Alpine white, but colours available changed every year, although the paint codes do not.
Greta: 85’ LHD 2.5L Subaru 14in Syncro
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165773

HansT

Re: Rattle can Alpine white/Weiss codes Update

Post by HansT »

Hi All
So - an update.
Adie89, you are correct re paint code label in van. Sadly, the old paintwork has faded more than I realised, which came to light when I removed the sliding door gear cover. The paintwork behind it is a very bright cream white...
Following phinw 's suggestion I searched around and visited Eurocolour in Hemel Hempstead 01442 262914, who kept the sliding gear cover overnight and produced a perfect match in rattle cans the next day. Very helpful people, especially Simon, who went the extra mile.

phinw

Post by phinw »

Glad to hear you got a result!

Phin
1988 1.9 DG