Rear seat belt fitting on Caravelle

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

aljo
80-90 Mem No: 0

Rear seat belt fitting on Caravelle

Post by aljo »

Hi,
I'm looking for someone around the West-Midlands or Mid-Wales area that could fit a 3-point belt in the back of my 1986 Caravelle.

I was hoping it already had the mount points so I could use the Brickwerks kit, but I can't see anything in the rear pillar as shown in this photo:

Am I looking in the wrong place or will this need drilling and reinforcing plates welding in (beyond my capabilities!)

Thanks

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: Rear seat belt fitting on Caravelle

Post by clift_d »

I'm not sure why your van hasn't got the threaded hole - I'm guessing it maybe didn't start life as a caravelle.

Brickwerks stock a rear seat belt mounting plate, which is a copy of the OEM VW plate, and aligns with the dimples in the recessed panel in your picture and which is held in place by the seatbelt bolt and a pop rivet - no welding required, although you can if you're able. Take a look at the fitting instructions on the Brickwerks site and see what you think.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

JackE
80-90 Mem No: 12479

Re: Rear seat belt fitting on Caravelle

Post by JackE »

Hi

Your van looks like an autosleeper conversion which I believe started life a a panel van. I fitted the brickwerk kit that was very easy. If you buy the rear seatbelt kit and the upper mounting point reinforcement linked to above and the lower mounting point you will have everything you need.
1.9 DG petrol and open loop LPG Autosleeper Hightop. 1988