window problem/ solution

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tonic
80-90 Mem No: 0

window problem/ solution

Post by tonic »

Hi all Does anybody know where i might get an oversize window for the off side where the cooker is. It has rusted on its lower edge, i would like to cut it out oversize instead of welding and filling it. I need the glass and rubber, at the moment it is a sliding one, but realise i will probably end up with a static one. The measurement top to bottom rubber to rubber is 41 cm i need one about 20 mm more than this. Any info of where i might get one would be appreciated. Tony

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Re: window problem/ solution

Post by kentishvanman »

If you are set on having an oversize window then why not pick the brains of the staff at your local windscreen depot.
They maybe able to find a standard size glass that you want.
The rubber you just order by the foot from Seals Direct.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Post by fazzer »

If you don't mind a fixed window use perspex ,I did for my hightop windows and look better than original in my opinion.

King Kenny
80-90 Mem No: 10965

Post by King Kenny »

A few years ago I wanted fixed side windows on my Morris Traveller. I made a cardboard pattern and took it to a local glass wholesaler in Poole. They cut out the hardened class to size, smoothed the edges and even etched a quality mark in the corner to please the MOT man. It was not too expensive either.
I don't know where I am, but I'm having a lovely time!

1990 CARAVELLE 1.9cc petrol : watercooled

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

fazzer wrote:If you don't mind a fixed window use perspex ,I did for my hightop windows and look better than original in my opinion.

Polycarbonate is better as it doesn't shatter like perspex can http://www.acwmotorsportplastics.co.uk/ ... onate.html

Think of it like laminated/toughened glass vs plain glass in your van
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

tonic
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by tonic »

Ok If i go the route of repairing the widow cut out, does anyone know the thickness of the aluminium of the sliding window surround. I would have to fit new seals to these as apposed to the glass, need to know this to order the correct rubber. Thanks Tony