Inner frame to outer panels

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

2011dandd
80-90 Mem No: 0

Inner frame to outer panels

Post by 2011dandd »

Stripped out a bit of my camper this weekend to fit some rear seat belts.
Found loads of bloody holes that I’m half way through welding up (badly)

I have found that the inner structure/frame is fixed in places with blobs of glue, I thought it would have been welded. Is that how they left the factory?

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Inner frame to outer panels

Post by maxstu »

Its the same in my Leisuredrive conversion. Inner frame glued to outer panel on the ribs. Plenty of rust scabs all over. And very wet rock wool insulation. :shock:

MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

2011dandd

Post by 2011dandd »

Ahhhh I see must be done in the factory then.
Some are coming away, I was going to chip the old stuff off and use a quality silicone I think.

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Not sure about silicone. There is a proper bonding agent but name escapes me. Otherwise Silkaflex (?) comes to mind.
In the upper parts l found expanding foam :shock: Very dodgy repair by previous keeper.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

maxstu wrote:Its the same in my Leisuredrive conversion. Inner frame glued to outer panel on the ribs. Plenty of rust scabs all over. And very wet rock wool insulation. :shock:

Yep, my leisuredrive has had a new panel fitted which I saw when I stripped the interior out. I looked at it and saw it was glued in place and thought "bodge job", but no, a bodyshop guy I know was looking and said "nice tidy job".

My rockwool was wet too :roll:

Sikaflex is a good PU adhesive, not what was used on mine as it's white, but will do the job
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

2011dandd

Post by 2011dandd »

I have posted another thread just in case anyone can remember the product.
FAiling that is it a special sikaflex bonding or just there white caravan sealent?
I imagine it needs to be quite flexible for body movements etc.

Rock wool is that the insulation of choice then guys? I was thinking of putting up a very thin foil backed insulation like the real thin stuff under laminate floors?
The rock wool I pulled out was also bloody wet! Where’s the water coming from? Could be condensation, the window rubbers appear to be water tight

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

I won't be using the rockwool when I rebuild, but am yet to decide, needs to insulate, & absorb sound. There's lots of products to choose from.

Mine is bonded with white stuff, the sikaflex I normally use is black, doesn't dry hard, more like a tough rubber

2011dandd

Post by 2011dandd »

Cheers

I’ll have a google. I’ll also look into types of insulation an need for it.going to be camping mainly in the summer months so not sure how vital it will be. Wrap up warm and high tog duvet :ok

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

maxstu wrote:Its the same in my Leisuredrive conversion. Inner frame glued to outer panel on the ribs. Plenty of rust scabs all over. And very wet rock wool insulation. :shock:

I would get as much of that rockwool out as you can, even the bits left on the panels will eventually fall off and end up at the bottom of the panel all wet and squidgy. Plenty of advice on hear regarding insulation. I used dacron insulation, the type used in stuffing soft furniture. I Tore some off and put it in a bowl of water prior to fitting, pulled it out and it didn't hold any water. It's been in for a couple of years now and when removing an interior panel recently It was bone dry.
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

2011dandd

Post by 2011dandd »

NicBeeee wrote:

I would get as much of that rockwool out as you can, even the bits left on the panels will eventually fall off and end up at the bottom of the panel all wet and squidgy. Plenty of advice on hear regarding insulation. I used dacron insulation, the type used in stuffing soft furniture. I Tore some off and put it in a bowl of water prior to fitting, pulled it out and it didn't hold any water. It's been in for a couple of years now and when removing an interior panel recently It was bone dry.

Did you get the rolls of that Dacron? Did you use double sided tape to stick it in the cavity’s?

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Funnily enough I was wondering if Hollowfill / Dacron would be available in a suitable form. Used to sell it for making stuffed toys many moons ago

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Find an old duvet and cut off the sew on cover and cut to the size and shape you need.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

2011dandd wrote:
Did you get the rolls of that Dacron? Did you use double sided tape to stick it in the cavity’s?

Yes just bought a roll of 50mm, cannot remember the exact price but was around £30 for the whole van and stuffed it all the gaps. I used self adhesive foam insulation for the roof and covered with automotive lining material. Keeps us toasty in the cold and cool in the heat.
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

2011dandd

Post by 2011dandd »

NicBeeee wrote:
2011dandd wrote:

Yes just bought a roll of 50mm, cannot remember the exact price but was around £30 for the whole van and stuffed it all the gaps. I used self adhesive foam insulation for the roof and covered with automotive lining material. Keeps us toasty in the cold and cool in the heat.

Grand