Frame cleaning

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sonnyhowell
80-90 Mem No: 0

Frame cleaning

Post by sonnyhowell »

Not sure where to put this as it’s technically not technical lol.

Looking for some advice or just see how you guys go about cleaning the sliding window frames. I seem to get great results until they dry....then they look just as weathered as before.
I also tried products that would ‘feed’ a pourus surface with average results. But once it rained....back to square one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dubworth
80-90 Mem No: 16562

Re: Frame cleaning

Post by Dubworth »

They look metal/ali(silver bits)? I'd try gently going at them with some light metal polish on a cloth. Or do you mean the rubber/plastic bits?
1985 Sheldon High Top 1.9DF

sonnyhowell
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by sonnyhowell »

The metal frames is what I’m trying to cheer up a bit
They are anodised aluminium i think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

In my experience you will find that if the anodizing has degraded no amount of low level cleaning or polishing will return them to anywhere near acceptable appearance without first removing the anodized surface layer. I believe this can be achieved with sodium hydroxide and the internet will no doubt provide suppliers and methods. But be warned :twisted: :twisted: sodium - hydroxide caustic soda in the vernacular I believe, is an insidious hazard if used without extreme precautions.
In my early days I painfully lost several layers of fingerprints using a dilute solution which I only realized when the slippery slime appearing on my fingers turned out to be dissolved skin. And remember just polishing aluminium will involve regular re-polishing unless some kind of protective coating is applied.
If you embark on this please take extreme care with emphasis on safety glasses and appropriate protective gloves :ok
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I wouldn't use caustic soda for removing the anodizing - it will get into any joints and between frame seals etc. and rot away unseen aluminium, ruining them totally. I have used hot caustic soda for many years as a paint stripper ( numerous pine doors) and heavy duty oil/grease remover. It will also strip any wax on the paint leaving unsightly marks.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶