Underseal help

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

chewbacca
80-90 Mem No: 16186

Underseal help

Post by chewbacca »

Quick question....

I have the petrol tank off of the bus currently and would like to take the opportunity to underseal the chassis, before refitting it. Normally I'd go buy a tin of fresh underseal and 2 inch paint brush, then get covered in the stuff for an afternoon. Since I'm very out of touch with modern rust protection products, is there something better than a tub of thick black tar and a paint brush, or something easier to use? Anything spray-on that does a good job for example? Just to add, I've no compressor, so it would have to be self contained.

Many thanks for the advice.
Jon
Last edited by chewbacca on 27 Mar 2018, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
B plate 1.9 petrol bus

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Undersea help

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Plenty of divers around!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

Damn for one minute I thought my Oceanography education was at last going to be useful
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Got some flippers and a snorkel, if they are any use to you. :wink:
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Undersea help

Post by bigbadbob76 »

I 'm an ex Rov pilot and still have a mini one if you need me to take a look. [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Seriously though...... i'd do what you said and slap it on with a 4" brush or spray it on if you can borrow a compressor. Planning on doing the same to mine when i get a chance to get in my mates pit and use his compressor.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

chewbacca

Re: Underseal help

Post by chewbacca »

Undersea... bloody auto text. :rofl
B plate 1.9 petrol bus

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

I've used waxoyl with a combination of brush and hand sprayer. Bought the big tin and put it into a bucket of water to warm it up then poured it into a hand held sprayer. Goes on a treat.........just keep your face away from the mist. Used Dynax s50 in the big aerosol with a long extension nozzle.
David.
the future is unwritten

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

I have a related question :-

Is this DIY undersealing a good idea?

It occurs to me (and I've often thought about this) that underseal applied like this won't get to the trickier areas where the most difficult to fix rust occurs (inside "A" "B" pillars, inside sills, inside the chassis areas at the rear wishbone mounts etc etc). It also covers up where the factory ender body treatment has (inevitably) started to peal off and in doing so "seals in" any moisture that HAS creeped under.

What do "those who know" reckon?
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

The factory applied wax treatment in the pillars and box sections inc rear suspension arms, in areas like the wheel arches thick stone chip type underseal was used. Some areas didn't have any and exposed areas of the factory wax can dry and flake off. Applying Waxoyl to these areas is the best diy treatment , the vehicle needs to be really dry so no moisture will be trapped under. Some of the crossmembers and sills can have a build up of silt which will hold the moisture and cause rust to start so this needs blowing out with an air gun, pressure washing in these areas can result in moisture being trapped when the rest of the van looks dry so dry cleaning methods are best. Don't forget to waxoyl the front deformation cross member just below the headlights, they never seem to be treated at the factory and can be a mot failure if it gets rusty and would be very expensive to replace.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Dubworth
80-90 Mem No: 16562

Post by Dubworth »

I've moved very much away from traditional underseal with waxoyl and traditional waxoyl cavity wax, it's a PITA to work with and has a bad tendency to crack and trap moisture in causing rot to creep underneath it. My van is currently running stone chip paint underneath after a good cleanup. If you want to research modern rust proofing products, brands you should look into are Bilt Hamber and Dinitrol (the main two I look to these days), as far as cavity waxing goes, I'm a huge fan of Dinitrol 3125, applied from aerosol cans with the 60cm hose with spray end, really nice to work with and leaves a good protection. As far as treating any rust you find, if you can clean it, Bilt Hamber Deox Gel is great, or if you want to convert it, Vactan :)
1985 Sheldon High Top 1.9DF

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

What does the Bilt deox gel do, will it get rid of surface rust leaving clean bare metal.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

chewbacca

Post by chewbacca »

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've rung Bilt Hamber in the end, after an hour of googling left me more confused than ever. After a 2 minute chat with their tech guy, I've order dynax s50 for the cavities I can access under the tank and dynax ub as a traditional underseal. All comes in spray can form.
B plate 1.9 petrol bus

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Post by crazyhorse »

chewbacca wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys. I've rung Bilt Hamber in the end, after an hour of googling left me more confused than ever. After a 2 minute chat with their tech guy, I've order dynax s50 for the cavities I can access under the tank and dynax ub as a traditional underseal. All comes in spray can form.

Let us know how you get on with pics please. Need to do this on mine, but not sure how much to order?? 3 of each??
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz

chewbacca

Post by chewbacca »

I've ordered 2 of each. If that does under the tank, happy days.
I'll let you know how it goes, but it'll be after the bank holiday now.
B plate 1.9 petrol bus

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Post by crazyhorse »

:ok
chewbacca wrote:I've ordered 2 of each. If that does under the tank, happy days.
I'll let you know how it goes, but it'll be after the bank holiday now.
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz