Early sliding mech

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Early sliding mech

Post by Ant-t »

Does anyone know if an early sliding door opening/closing mechanism thats fitted between the inner outer handles can be serviced?
1983 DG Kamper 2

nsjtaylor
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Early sliding mech

Post by nsjtaylor »

I just had mine out, yesterday (early, same as yours). Both front and rear on mine were woefully bad, as they still had 35 year old grease on them that had pretty much turned to toffee and make them fabulously hard to operate.

Once you've got the front lock out (e-clip on cable off, all bolts out, then slide the whole lock UP towards the window then jiggle it out), you'll find that access to the internals of the lock is somewhat limited. You can't readily break it down to its individuals components, far as I can tell.

However... you can very easily get to the main culprit of sticky/tough use, which is the slider mechanism. That's plain sight and easily cleaned.

For the internals, I put the whole unit in an old washing up bowl, then sprayed WD40/your-choice-of-degreaser into every available orifice. I then pulled out my trust miniature bottle-brush (about 1cm diameter), and then blindly scrubbed with it in every available hole. You'll find plenty of old dust and crap drops out into the bowl; mine even had a 1p coin stuck in it, which dropped out! (and gauging by the state of the coin, had definitely been fouling on things).

After doing the best I could, I dried it all off and then tested each bit manually. The slider worked GREAT and was no longer stick, as well as the locking ring and all other components.

If you're into component replacement... I'd be tempted to purchase a Used one from somewhere.

Let me know if you need any other advice on this.

Cheers.
"Bob" - 1984 Westfalia Joker High-Top, 1.9DG

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

The front lock mech for rhd is still listed as available for early and late models.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Ant-t

Post by Ant-t »

Thanks for the replies, the mech still works but it's slowly taking further for tge handle to travel downwards from horizontal to unlock the sliding door. I'm thinking I should replace the locking mech unless it can be serviced to fix the problem.
1983 DG Kamper 2

nsjtaylor

Post by nsjtaylor »

Ant - you may find that the rear lock it starting to bind/be-very-stiff, meaning that the cable is starting to stretch owing to the additional force you're having to put on the handle (and would explain why the handle needs to move further to generate enough movement, now). This is what's happened to me. Whilst I now have beautifully working lock mechanisms (all been drowned in WD40 and scrubbed to within an inch of their lives), the INSIDE handle won't generate enough movement to pull the cable far enough to pop the rear lock (external handle still works). Child safe :wink: . So now I either have to replace the cable (tough trying to find one) or manufacture a couple of cable shims, because my adjuster is already at Max (see Note, below).

Note; there is a cable adjuster near the front lock. If this hasn't yet been wound all the way out, I suggest adjusting that :) That'll ensure your handles don't need to do so much movement before popping the lock. However... make sure you've refurbished the rear lock first to it's nice and easy to operate, otherwise you'll end up stretching the cable.

By the way - if anyone has or knows where I can purchase an Early Sliding Door Lock Cable, please let me know! (I'm not averse to purchasing Used, that's just fine).

multisi

Post by multisi »

I have the early cable and lhd rear lock mech from low mileage van.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

nsjtaylor

Post by nsjtaylor »

[quote="multisi"]I have the early cable and lhd rear lock mech from low mileage van.[/quote]

For sale, sir? I'd be interested if you please :D

multisi

Post by multisi »

I will send pm when I know postage cost. Do you want cable and rear lock mech ?

nsjtaylor

Post by nsjtaylor »

Just looking for the cable. Thanks chap.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

nsjtaylor wrote:
By the way - if anyone has or knows where I can purchase an Early Sliding Door Lock Cable, please let me know! (I'm not averse to purchasing Used, that's just fine).

I made a new one up from 3mm wire rope. The ends you can get from boat chandlers for sail rigging.

1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Ant-t

Post by Ant-t »

Like it ^^^ that's initiative 8)
1983 DG Kamper 2

Ant-t

Post by Ant-t »

Just an update on this, I refurbished my connecting cable but the problem still persisted. Turned out the mech was ok but the handle, which had cracked near the locking part and was getting worse, hence the increasing travel to operate the slider. Handle replaced, all good now
:ok
1983 DG Kamper 2