fitting rear seat belts

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JackE
80-90 Mem No: 12479

fitting rear seat belts

Post by JackE »

Hi

I am about to fit some rear seat belts in my van- originally a panel van so no mounts- I was going to use the following plates from Brickwerks https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/seat-belt- ... floor.html and https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/seat-belt- ... plate.html was was just wondering if these need to be welded or riveted in place or will the bolt through the bodywork hold them in place?

Many thanks
1.9 DG petrol and open loop LPG Autosleeper Hightop. 1988

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: fitting rear seat belts

Post by AngeloEvs »

The bolt will hold it in place but you will need a helper, one inside and helper underneath. The smaller holes are simply to hold the plate in position. Depending on the type of rear seat you may have to adjust the position of the bulkhead plates to suit.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

JackE

Post by JackE »

many thanks by helper do you mean smaller nut and bolt or rivet?

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Someone under the van to hold the plate in position whilst you insert an tighten the bolt. Alternatvely, drill the smaller holes and use some wire to attach to the plate and pull the plate up from under the van. It should line up and you can then insert the bolt. I cannot think of any other way to fit the bulkhead plates if on your own - someone might have a better method..... :lol:

JackE

Post by JackE »

thanks for your help. I miss understood what you meant by helper! I should be able to find somebody to help out. Many thanks

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Stick a bit of glue on the plate before you screw it in place. I had mine welded in. Cost me £50 for a local mobile welder to weld all 3 seatbelts in place. Mines originally a panel van too. Can send pics on Wednesday if that helps at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Whoever does it please ensure that they properly treat any exposed metal when done.

This is what happened to my Leisuredrive because the belt mounting point was not rust treated: The gap was bigger when the trip panel was removed, totally unnecessary damage

1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

JackE

Post by JackE »

Thanks for the tips pictures would be great.

It is best to treat the plate before and also make sure any holes drilled are treated? What products would you recommend?

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Primer, paint and lots of grease. Apart from inhibiting rust it will prevent the threads seizing and easier to remove in the future.

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Have a look in the body section - I'm at the just starting a resto stage, Por15, Vactan & high zinc content paint seem favourite.

There should be a pic of what happens in my post above, at least I can see it. All the void occurred because of one unprotected hole for one bolt :(
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Fitting the seatbelts is so easy. The seatbelt kit from Brickwerks is brilliant. Mine was a panel van but has the 3 holes that you use to attach the belt reel in place between the inner and outer skin of the rear panels. You just need to decide the location of the spreader plates that provide the thread for the other 3 fixing points (top, side and buckle) There are instructions in the seatbelt kit I think.

Here you can see the top positions, I have 3 seatbelts in the back, 2 from the same side.

Here you can see the position of the buckle fixings and circled are 2 separate fixings, however, you only need 1. The instructions said the side fixing should be on the inner skin (the left hole) I decided to weld a spreader plate to the bulkhead as it seamed more logical and stronger (the right hole)
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Found a picture of where the reel fits. Not my van. Those 3 holes should be there already I think.

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Let me know if you need any more help. One piece of advice, if you buy the Brickwerks seatbelt, or probably any seatbelt, because they are so long, do not let them wind back too far into the reel. They get stuck and very hard to get back out. Put something on the belt to keep a decent length hanging out.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Jonnyb416 wrote:Fitting the seatbelts is so easy. The seatbelt kit from Brickwerks is brilliant. Mine was a panel van but has the 3 holes that you use to attach the belt reel in place between the inner and outer skin of the rear panels. You just need to decide the location of the spreader plates that provide the thread for the other 3 fixing points (top, side and buckle) There are instructions in the seatbelt kit I think.

Here you can see the top positions, I have 3 seatbelts in the back, 2 from the same side.

Here you can see the position of the buckle fixings and circled are 2 separate fixings, however, you only need 1. The instructions said the side fixing should be on the inner skin (the left hole) I decided to weld a spreader plate to the bulkhead as it seamed more logical and stronger (the right hole)
Fitting the side fixing to that position on the bulkhead isn't a good idea, that's the wheel arch and rust could set in. the other hole is the factory position for seat belts and the spreader plate should be fitted behind the inner skin.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

That’s a good point Multsi. Mine was done whilst have a major restoration so all stripped back with loads of new panels and suitably sealed. I have just checked them since you mentioned and they are still sound after 3 years. However, I may well swap them over as we did fit the side spreader plates too. I’ll certainly be keeping an eye on them; as you should do with any seatbelt mounting I suppose. The front points are anchored under the wheel arch, too. (Factory fitted) I replaced both of mine with new thick steel 3 years ago. Always worth giving them a good tug every now and again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk