Panel van side windows

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

richieadkins
80-90 Mem No: 6900

Panel van side windows

Post by richieadkins »

Afternoon all,
The girlfriends "new" van requires the side windows taking out, the rust removing and repair patches welding in. My question is fairly simple if I buy new seals how much longer than the circumference of the window do I need to make the new seal. The seals fitted currently are neither the correct ones or the correct length (1" gap at the top!). I seem to remember from when I did some back in the day that it was around 1.5" longer. But, I cannot find anything to substantiate this on the world wide webs!

Thanks in advance

Richie
1982 Leisure Drive hi-top 1.9 N/A 1Y.
http://www.justgiving.com/Richard-Adkins/

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Re: Panel van side windows

Post by bigbadbob76 »

I'd allow for several extra inches and cut it to size once you put the seal in.
It can get a bit stretched during fitting and then shrink back leaving the gap you mention.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

I recall leaving an overlap of maybe a half inch, and finishing by forcing them in to butt against each other. Long term I think the rubber shrinks, and this lets it shrink without tapping. Also if you have seals with an internal trim strip the seal join should be at the bottom of the window (as always), and the trim strip join should be elsewhere, to help align the seal joint. Use the proper tool for the trim strip, and soapy water to fit the trim strip. A windscreen sealant such as arbomast autograde is also good belt and braces for a new seal.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

RogerT wrote: Also if you have seals with an internal trim strip the seal join should be at the bottom of the window (as always), and the trim strip join should be elsewhere,

I've just bought new seals for mine and was watching the demo video on seals direct - they say the join should be at the top?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuIRUaUrVFI
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop