Seam Rash - What can we do

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

crm2000uk
80-90 Mem No: 0

Seam Rash - What can we do

Post by crm2000uk »

Hey guys, I have been looking since June now for a van for me and the GF. We aren't in any rush and have had the pleasure of looking everyday and getting a real feel for the market and what we can afford and more than anything the many shapes and sizes that these beauties come in. I have learnt tons and could argue we are now experts on the sale price of t25's! Lots to learn but now we just need a van!

Now to my question, what are everyone else's seam rash fixes? I know if I buy a van that has had a respray any more than 2 years ago it will very likely will have some bubbling or even worse some splitting of the sealant which will obviously only get worse with time and being outside and will eventually work it's way into the panels and arches and then it's game over and could be structural etc. I am thinking if I can find something with an old respray and it appears to only have cosmetic seam bubbling, can I do a process of sanding back, filling and respraying? Anyone have any tutorials or feeds I can look at where users have talked through a seam rash renewing?

I understand that ideally I would sand back fill, sand again, sand again, sand again, and then eventually save the money for a lovely respray but that isn't really what we can afford.

So essentially How hard is it to rectify and make good cosmetic seam rash?

Any help is welcomed, we just want to know how far we need to run away from really bad vans and if the seam rash on the better ones is fixable without an expensive full spray. I know we are unlikely to find one in mint unbubbled for our budget and we don't want something I would be scared to drive at the risk of scratching the paint. But equally we want something smart!

Thanks in advance!

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Re: Seam Rash - What can we do

Post by DoubleOSeven »

I'm no expert but If it's rusty on the outside, then you can grind back the rust until you get to metal. If it's pentrated then it's time to buy panels from Alan Schofield and replace them. I would'nt spend any money on paying a Professional for an expensive re-spray or part re-spray, just paint it yourself. The vans arn't worth that much, so it's not really cost effective to get them painted professionally. Use Rustoleum to paint it or get a mate to give it a quick once over with spray gun. Having so many right angles on the body panels makes it easy to mask the effectied area only. Don't fill it with filla; if it's that bad get a panel.
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

The only way is to rake out the old sealant and sandblast right into the seam. Don't use a grinder, the metal is only 1mm thick too start with, you want to preserve as much good metal as possible.

1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Slider2
80-90 Mem No: 15069

Post by Slider2 »

'Cosmetic' seam rash?

Personally I think there is very little you can do to 'fix' seam rash once it is there.
Most corrosion at the seams is either due to cracked sealant letting water deep into the spot welded seams via capillary action or condensation getting into the seams from the inside of the van. Either way, the rust forms on the hidden flanges of the seam and might be there for years before it becomes evident on the outer surfaces.

Once on the outside, yes you can clean up the surfaces and try to prevent it from becoming active again but unless you open up the seams and remove the rotten metal it is only a matter of time before it'll be back at the surface.

I reckon three choices.

1) buy one that has had its coachwork meticulously maintained & probably repainted many years ago & thus had seams protected every 10 years...
2) be prepared for periodic grind / blastout / trust treatment and repainting to keep it 'at bay' and cosmetically presentable
3) buy something tatty and send it for an deep rebuild with lots of new metal being let in. But choose someone good as opening up seams can potentially open up sound surfaces to the elements.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

See my restoration thread (or anyone else's for that matter) Look at the condition of the bus before it went away for surgery.
Blisters under the paint mean rust has come all the way through from the other side.Image

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk