auto sleeper hi top roof seal

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

islandboy
80-90 Mem No: 10711

auto sleeper hi top roof seal

Post by islandboy »

Anyone know where I can obtain the front and back seals between the hi top and the van roof.
When I come to have the roof stripped off, the old seals will definitely not be going back on as they are pretty well shot.
Attachments
fr_seal_small.jpg
fr_seal_small.jpg (84.35 KiB) Viewed 6074 times
1987 DG 1900 petrol plus Yamaha Midnight Star and Yamaha Virago and !979 Vespa P125X

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Re: auto sleeper hi top roof seal

Post by RogerT »

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; do ALL kinds of seals.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

Hi,
I removed mine, cleaned and de-rusted and filled/sealed with Tiger Seal.
If you look at the existing seal you will probably find rivets behind the outer lip. They rust and let water in.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

islandboy

Post by islandboy »

kentishvanman wrote:Hi,
I removed mine, cleaned and de-rusted and filled/sealed with Tiger Seal.
If you look at the existing seal you will probably find rivets behind the outer lip. They rust and let water in.

Thanks for the tip. Did you replace the actual seal or just use Tiger Seal in it's place ?
1987 DG 1900 petrol plus Yamaha Midnight Star and Yamaha Virago and !979 Vespa P125X

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

Just the Tiger Seal.
It might have avoided water problems/rust if the seals and rivets had never been used.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

jamesakers
80-90 Mem No: 14421

Post by jamesakers »

kentishvanman wrote:Just the Tiger Seal.
It might have avoided water problems/rust if the seals and rivets had never been used.
I'll second that. This is what I found under my seal:

Sir Adventure - 1991 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9DG Petrol
https://vwt25.blog/

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Similar setup on my Autohomes. I was never happy with the rubber seal, mine was in poor condition regards preventing moisture getting past it. I looked at a number of different Hi Tops and noticed that some conversions were bonded at the front rather than use a seal. I removed the seal, cleaned the area and used a combination if fiberglass and sealant to bond the Hi Top directly to the body.

My Auto Homes Hi top has a very large gap between top and the windscreen (35mm) in the centre which gradually reduces to a few mm towards the corners making it difficult for a seal of a fixed width to fit properly.

I have a picture in the 'readers rides' section if anyone wants to see what it looks like.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

islandboy

Post by islandboy »

AngeloEvs wrote:Similar setup on my Autohomes. I was never happy with the rubber seal, mine was in poor condition regards preventing moisture getting past it. I looked at a number of different Hi Tops and noticed that some conversions were bonded at the front rather than use a seal. I removed the seal, cleaned the area and used a combination if fiberglass and sealant to bond the Hi Top directly to the body.

My Auto Homes Hi top has a very large gap between top and the windscreen (35mm) in the centre which gradually reduces to a few mm towards the corners making it difficult for a seal of a fixed width to fit properly.

I have a picture in the 'readers rides' section if anyone wants to see what it looks like.

Angelo, that picture would be appreciated, as much info as possible will help me with the possibilities of what mine could be like. Cheers

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Looking at your picture, your Hi Top sits very close to the windscreen rubber and some form of adhesive sealant such as already mentioned ( or silkaflex, serious stuff, etc) might be your only option. My Hi Top sits further up from the windscreen and leaves a good 40mm or so of metal to allow fibreglass mat to be used.

A word of caution if anyone reading this wants to do similar. The Hi Top flexes ( probably for a number of causes) and, over a period of use, I noticed a few hairline cracks appearing in the fibre glass matt in the corners. Its in the corners, where the gap is not very wide where I added adhesive sealant after scoring the hair line cracks. I will redo the corners in the summer but increase the density of the fibreglass matt.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

islandboy

Post by islandboy »

Many thanks folks for the tips and advice, keep them coming, the task is not looking so daunting now.

Legin
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Legin »

Has anyone found this seal