Fresh air flow.

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Re: Fresh air flow.

Postby itchyfeet » 15 Dec 2017, 21:48

bigbadbob76 wrote:Propping the tailgate would be a bit too much ventilation methinks, good suggestion though. :ok

don't rule it out, even the tailgate, half on the latch gives a bit, I made a short tail gate standoff that gives about 1/2" ventilation, may need a midge net but its a cheap easy solution.

if you are not worried about security a bit of wood keeps the rear hatch open a smidge
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks
itchyfeet

80-90 Mem No: 12733

Postby CovKid » 18 Dec 2017, 13:48

Its possible to install small PC-type fans in the cavity ahead of the doors to remove condensation when camped overnight. They don't draw much so not a consideration in terms of a flat battery.
Roller paint your camper at home: https://tinyurl.com/y7723h29 for MP4 download.
CovKid
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 3529

Postby bigbadbob76 » 19 Dec 2017, 09:09

ooohhhhh.... good call CovKid. :ok
They'd be pretty quiet too and far enough from the sleeping area that you wouldn't hear them. :D
And they could be orientated to blow the midgies out, not suck them in.

looking at this pic (thanks JonB, :) ) gives a better idea of what's hidden under my lining carpet.

I'm thinking maybe some vents let into the base of the overhead locker directly above our heads when we're... erm... sleeping :P and ducted into the gutter ventilation void.
Possible via that hole at top right of the picture if it connects with the vent at top left.
Then a couple of pc fans somewhere as CovKid suggests. even in the locker if they're not too noisy there.
pc fans could be run from the leisure battery.
Whether this would rust my vent ducts/doors etc from the inside out is another issue.

Just for kicks I did the maths to see if silica gel would be any good.
Nope. :lol: I'd need 1kg of silica gel per nights sleep to adsorb the breath from both of us.
I'd then have to put it in the oven for 2-3 hours. And not the van oven as that would pump the evaporated moisture back into the van. :roll:
Maybe on the exhaust though if I'm driving that day.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 speed, camper.
'Q 2cv6 trike with diy EFI.
'03 Furred ranger.
'95 Suzuki bandit 750.
bigbadbob76

80-90 Mem No: 15707

Postby bigbadbob76 » 21 Dec 2017, 11:30

After having a good look in the overhead locker I have a plan B forming. :idea

I've mounted a couple of pc power supply fans in the base of the locker, in the corners below those holes at top right in JonB's picture above.
Those holes are connected together by a void above the tailgate.
I also noticed the blanking grommet for the tailgate wiring (that I don't have) is filling a hole in this void and is above the tailgate seal so would vent to outside.
I'm thinking of drilling some more vent holes along the top above the seal, ( see pic below) the only issue I see is keeping rainwater out, but grommets with holes should sort that and stop any water that runs down
there from running straight in.
Ideally I'll have a double glazed tailgate window too (when funds allow) so our breath doesn't condense on the window before it gets sucked out by the fans.

'03 Furred ranger.
'95 Suzuki bandit 750.
bigbadbob76

Postby multisi » 21 Dec 2017, 12:17

Don't be drilling holes in that tailgate crossmember , could cause water ingress/rust issues.
1992 red lle 3.3 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon 2.2 subaru
multisi

80-90 Mem No: 0

Postby bigbadbob76 » 21 Dec 2017, 15:03

multisi wrote:Don't be drilling holes in that tailgate crossmember , could cause water ingress/rust issues.

Yes, that's something I've got to be careful of. :ok
If I do it I've got to do it right ot I'll be flooded out. :lol:
As there are already holes in there for wiring I "should" be ok as long as I grommet the holes properly.
I'm thinking maybe sleeved/long grommets.
Properly cleaning up the holes and painting the cut edges before sealing the grommets in will be essential.
'03 Furred ranger.
'95 Suzuki bandit 750.
bigbadbob76

Postby Mr Bean » 30 Dec 2017, 14:36

We used to get wet pillows due to condensation running down the rear window. So I ran a 6 mm bungee across just below the window and made up a "curtain" from some leatherette material so that we could tuck the curtain proper behind it when sleeping. The leatherette "curtain" separates pillows from the door/window and any condensation gets directed down behind it.

We do have an 12 to 240 V inverter circuit which we can use when not on hookup so I have it in mind to take our small Karcher electric squeegee as we use the van right through the winter for family visits/stay overs and her ladyship requires a very warm environment at all times which does of course produce plenty of condensation all round which does take a bit of getting off especially when preparing to drive.
CS
Mr Bean
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
88 Leisuredrive Hightop 2.1 WBX
Mr Bean

80-90 Mem No: 5485

Postby Mocki » 30 Dec 2017, 17:51

bigbadbob76 wrote:After having a good look in the overhead locker I have a plan B forming. :idea

I've mounted a couple of pc power supply fans in the base of the locker, in the corners below those holes at top right in JonB's picture above.
Those holes are connected together by a void above the tailgate.
I also noticed the blanking grommet for the tailgate wiring (that I don't have) is filling a hole in this void and is above the tailgate seal so would vent to outside.
I'm thinking of drilling some more vent holes along the top above the seal, ( see pic below) the only issue I see is keeping rainwater out, but grommets with holes should sort that and stop any water that runs down
there from running straight in.
Ideally I'll have a double glazed tailgate window too (when funds allow) so our breath doesn't condense on the window before it gets sucked out by the fans.

Drilling holes in the top cross member there will cause you untold wetness, and regret . Trust me, I once broke a van that someone had drilled just two holes there for some sort of doohickey and when I cut the van up that bit has a double skin for structural strength and it was full of water and rust worms..... it’s basically out side all the time in all the weather .
Steve
tel / txt 07947137911
just one shade of very fast grey

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
Mocki
Membership Admin

80-90 Mem No: 428

Postby bigbadbob76 » 30 Dec 2017, 19:11

Cheers for the heads-up on the double skin, :ok

I have a string accross below the window too C.S. your deflector curtain sounds like a good addition.
'03 Furred ranger.
'95 Suzuki bandit 750.
bigbadbob76

Previous

Return to Bodywork, Seats & Glass