Rear Jack point and inner sill fitting question

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Rear Jack point and inner sill fitting question

Post by mshaw1980 »

Hello

Just jigged up my rear swingarm mount ready for welding and it just occurred to me, do you fit the inner sill first?

Might be obvious but don't want to mess it up.

Cheers

:ok
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Re: Rear Jack point and inner sill fitting question

Post by RogerT »

Hi, I’ve got this to come on mine. Share a photo of your jig arrangement? Been mulling ideas round in my head...
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Post by mshaw1980 »

Will do tomorrow :ok
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

:ok My idea at the moment, as I’m pretty sure at least one of my mounts has shifted, is a floor standing bracket bolted onto the outer face of the swing arm, and then positioning the mount off the swing arm. The inner swing arm mounts are of course Ok. So I’d get the swing arm face vertical, and lined up for and aft (possibly using a looong thing stuck to it extending forward), and tack the mount in position onto the chassis. I don’t recall seeing it done on any threads currently or in the past.

At present my swing arm mounts are patched on in a bodge to get it through the MOT last summer. Looks horrible but it stopped the clonk as the mount shifted under acceleration and cornering. My wheels are well squint. I thought no my MOT man must have a soft spot for me...
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.