Engine bay sound deadening

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Whitevanman
80-90 Mem No: 12492

Engine bay sound deadening

Post by Whitevanman »

I've trawled old posts but can't find a recommendation. What material should I use in place of the original sound deadening above the transaxle? There are various products available but it needs to stick well and withstand elements and engine heat.

Thanks

Mark

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Engine bay sound deadening

Post by R0B »

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... insulation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Whitevanman

Post by Whitevanman »

Thanks Rob. I can see that works for the engine cover but what about the bullhead over the gearbox? Any experience of that. Cheers,
Mark

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Sorry fella I misread your post.Cant help with the bulkhead stuff.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I would start with some Alubutyl sheeting like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alubutyl-ABX-t ... s=alubutyl and finish with the OEM soundproofing.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Put the sound insulation on the interior, moisture could get trapped underneath if the outside is covered, and no worries about heat etc.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Whitevanman

Post by Whitevanman »

Titus A Duxass wrote:I would start with some Alubutyl sheeting like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alubutyl-ABX-t ... s=alubutyl and finish with the OEM soundproofing.
Thanks. Is the OEM soundproofing still available? Mine disintegrated during removal.

Thanks

Mark

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Whitevanman wrote:
Titus A Duxass wrote:I would start with some Alubutyl sheeting like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alubutyl-ABX-t ... s=alubutyl and finish with the OEM soundproofing.
Thanks. Is the OEM soundproofing still available? Mine disintegrated during removal.

Thanks

Mark

That's a good question. I suspect not.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

multisi

Post by multisi »

Not available anymore nor the metal that holds it in place, easier to do the interior of that area.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

No surprise from me, but I used two yoga mats on that bulkhead (inside as suggested). They deaden that area right down and its easy to cut to shape etc. Also helps in keeping camper warm when weather is abominable.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Whitevanman

Post by Whitevanman »

CovKid wrote:No surprise from me, but I used two yoga mats on that bulkhead (inside as suggested). They deaden that area right down and its easy to cut to shape etc. Also helps in keeping camper warm when weather is abominable.
OK, so it seems no one is reproducing the OEM design. I'll keep looking as internal sound deadening is not as practical in a day van.

multisi

Post by multisi »

Why isn't it going to work in your van, its going to be under the rear seat . When the underside insulation wasn't used the factory bonded sound proofing to the inside of the boot floor, there is also the moulded one piece rubber mat with sound insulation that covered the bulkhead and boot area in one piece, still available but expensive and there is also the boot floor carpet piece which has heavy sound insulation bonded to it.

Dad
80-90 Mem No: 11860

Post by Dad »

https://www.deadening.co.uk/pages/van-i ... ndproofing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These guys know their stuff, free advice.
1990 autosleeper trident 1.9 lpg

blakeys80
80-90 Mem No: 15374

Post by blakeys80 »

I'm currently doing the engine bay out as the engine + box are out, having removed the filthy old soundproofing + framework. To be fair the surface underneath is in good order, with only a few areas of surface rust. I'm planing on steam cleaning the area, vactan and then a good layer of Gravitex for protection + soundproofing, followed by a coat of body colour rustoleum. Inside on the same areas that the original foam were, I'm going to use sound proof matting as it'll be mostly under the bed and you won't see it. Would like to hear any other ideas people might have though.

1981 LHD 2.0l CU with Twin Solex setup.

Whitevanman

Post by Whitevanman »

blakeys80 wrote:I'm currently doing the engine bay out as the engine + box are out, having removed the filthy old soundproofing + framework. To be fair the surface underneath is in good order, with only a few areas of surface rust. I'm planing on steam cleaning the area, vactan and then a good layer of Gravitex for protection + soundproofing, followed by a coat of body colour rustoleum. Inside on the same areas that the original foam were, I'm going to use sound proof matting as it'll be mostly under the bed and you won't see it. Would like to hear any other ideas people might have though.
I'm in the same boat mate though I'd like to recreate the OEM arrangements, as you say it doesn't promote rot. Seems everyone else is applying sound deadening to the inside only.

Mark