Engine bay sound deadening

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

blakeys80
80-90 Mem No: 15374

Re: Engine bay sound deadening

Post by blakeys80 »

I know what you mean, I think it's just that there's better products around now to apply to the exterior for purely protection, and the sound deadening properties of the Gravitex etc are also pretty good when combined with deadening the interior. If you want to replace the foam though, when I used to work in Air conditioning, we used a polyethylene foam for the same function, as long as it's closed cell it should be fine. I suppose you could even get the self adhesive stuff and stick thin rubber/plastic sheet to it to give it more mechanical strength.
Something like this would prob do the trick

https://www.efoam.co.uk/closed-cell-pol ... e-foam.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1981 LHD 2.0l CU with Twin Solex setup.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Most tend to lean towards sound deadening inside partly because of limited access (ideally with gearbox out) and the hassle of cleaning and treating the surface you intend to bond to. I'm not convinced its worth the effort to be honest.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Whitevanman
80-90 Mem No: 12492

Post by Whitevanman »

CovKid wrote:Most tend to lean towards sound deadening inside partly because of limited access (ideally with gearbox out) and the hassle of cleaning and treating the surface you intend to bond to. I'm not convinced its worth the effort to be honest.
I agree but as the box is out and it's all cleaned back an painted I'm looking into it

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Post by Jonnyb416 »

I’ve got that many shoes wellies etc under my seat from my family of 5. You don’t hear any of the engine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

Whitevanman wrote:
CovKid wrote:Most tend to lean towards sound deadening inside partly because of limited access (ideally with gearbox out) and the hassle of cleaning and treating the surface you intend to bond to. I'm not convinced its worth the effort to be honest.
I agree but as the box is out and it's all cleaned back an painted I'm looking into it

I fitted maricoustic foam to mine, held in place with the original wires.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

Whitevanman
80-90 Mem No: 12492

Post by Whitevanman »

Repainted original brackets and fitted new adehisve backed acoustic foam