Rear jacking point / swing arm mount replacement

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Rear jacking point / swing arm mount replacement

Post by mshaw1980 »

Hello

So I am about to undertake a complete inner sill replacement and thought I could get away with cleaning up the rear jacking point. So here is what it looks like...

ImageRear trailing arm mount by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

ImageRear trailing arm mount by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

I used the T25 jack to test the strength after opening it up as above and the top of the mount started to buckle and then the rusty steel fell apart. The weld onto the rear crossmember is strong still but I am wondering now if this is past patch and repair?

If so could someone please help me on what exactly I need to do in order to do a proper job? If I need to make a jig to do this so that it aligns properly please can I have a photo / instructions of what to do?? My friend who is a welder and fabricator can assist me if needed along with the use of a plasma cutter, however I want to be able to do as much of this as I can myself.

All other bodywork has been a bit overwhelming to begin with but it doesnt phase me now. This on the other hand can affect the alignment and is structural so a bit cautious on this one.

Thanks everyone and appreciate all help in advance :-)

Mark
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Re: Rear jacking point / swing arm mount replacement

Post by mshaw1980 »

Anybody? :roll:
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

Have a search on here, I'm sure I have seen this job done. Alignment jig etc. There are replacement metal sections you can buy off the shelf.
It's beyond my level of knowledge but that looks pretty rotten. Good luck.
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

I call you after linch, but unless the actual arm mount is dead then no need to remove it,

it will still be attached to the transverse outrigger so as long as van/chassis is supported and wheel/ hub free and not under load then remove all the metal as per the link i sent and make good by following it,
mm

sachashower
80-90 Mem No: 16772

Post by sachashower »

Plasticman wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 13:42 I call you after linch, but unless the actual arm mount is dead then no need to remove it,

it will still be attached to the transverse outrigger so as long as van/chassis is supported and wheel/ hub free and not under load then remove all the metal as per the link i sent and make good by following it,
mm
Hi there, sorry to jump on a very old thread, but I am unsure whether to remove my jacking point to repair the chassis member it attaches to, and I saw your comment not to remove the jacking point if it is ok. The actual jacking point is fine and still seems to be in the correct place, but I am unsure if i can get a decent repair to the chassis member without removing it. 
It does also require repair to the inner sill etc behind the arch panel. I am doing this job for a friend and he does not have a huge budget, so although it needs to be solid I cannot be putting complete new sills etc on it. 
Thanks in advance  :D

Imaget3 by sacha.maddison, on Flickr