Floor repair and inner sill replacement

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Floor repair and inner sill replacement

Post by mshaw1980 »

Hi all

Well it doesnt rain but it pours. I have started cutting out the rot on the drivers side of my van after completing all the bodywork repairs on the passenger side. My plan was to cut out rear arch panel, fix the rust behind/around that area before making good with a new tall rear arch panel. I will then move onto replacing the centre side panel as it is very rusty along the seams and at the bottom of the window. For all the messing around I decided to cut it out and fit a new panel. The rust was quite bad at the bottom near the sill so I was expecting the worst and was confronted with this...

ImageSide centre panel removal by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

ImageSide centre panel removal by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

As can be seen the floor which attaches to the inner centre side panel has completely rusted away so I need some advice on how to tackle repairing this?? Also, whilst I have all this cut out I may as well replace the inner sill as it has seen better days. Are there any tricks / things I need to look out for/be aware of when doing the inner sill?

Thanks everyone :ok
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Floor repair and inner sill replacement

Post by Plasticman »

Well schofields do the lower fridge panel and also an outer sill (prefereable to the same items they also suppy spotted together (easier to fit as individual items)
i make the floor closures and as for the inner sill send decent picks as i have repair parts for these as often there is little need to remove the lot
mm

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

Hi Mick

Pics of the inner sill and front jacking point are as follows...

ImageInner sill and front jacking point by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

The floor panel you mentioned sounds interesting but I wont need the fridge panel will I if i buy the complete centre side panel??

What are your thoughts on the inner sill and jacking point?? Personally I think the front jacking point is knackered as its very rusty where it joins the front outrigger. I just wondered if replacing the inner sill would be easier than trying to patch whats there whilst everything is out of the way. DOnt want to have to do this job again for a while :-)

Thanks
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Well. ref the side panel,centre side panal = fridge panel.....
what i meant is buy the centre side panal as an item and buy the outer sill as an item , then when building fit the outer and when the lower is all done you fit the larger panal , then finally the inner closures, i will send you a link to one or two ive done as its easier than describing in print,
take your point ref the inner sill , if your HAPPY with the rear arm/jp then yes fit the inner cut off some point near the rear, your call where, again i send you a link to a few ive done
mm :ok

Oh and it looks like the front jp inner supports have failed so you will need to open up the B post from the outside.... :wink:

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

Hi Mick

Thanks. Yes I had planned on cutting open the B post to deal with the jacking point stiffener. Will take a look at your link.