O/S/F wing & seat mount repair advice please

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tandemsandy
80-90 Mem No: 9604

O/S/F wing & seat mount repair advice please

Post by tandemsandy »

So before I splash the cash at Brickwerks, can I just check I’ve got the right idea here!
Drivers side front arch is gone all round the filler plus evidence of numerous patch repairs before, cab step is gone, and the seat belt mount panel is thin but even worse is that the panel beneath the outer seat runner is gone.
So my plan is to remove the wing completely, cut out the cab step, and cut back the seatbelt mount area back to the edge of the battery box , completely removing where the seat runner attaches.
I’ll then fit a new wing to restore the outer profile-
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/b ... t-2wd.html
and a new cab step to marry with the new wing-
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/b ... ative.html
That will leave me with a big space to fill between the wing and the edge of the battery box. If I throw approx. 60mm wide plate from the edge of the battery box (made from 2 or 2.5mm thick steel) which would be the mounting for the seat rail, do I then fill the rest of the space with a proper repair panel for the seatbelt mount-
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/b ... right.html
or just lap a 1mm plate under the 2mm and under the wing to finish off and add a local reinforcement for the seatbelt bolt?

It wont be the same seats going back in, have got some nice leather Momo's from an Alfa :-)

Mechanically we do most things ourselves but this will be my biggest bodywork project, so any thoughts appreciated, especially if I'm about to make an ar$e of it!

Thanks, Rob & Sandy
Sandy & Rob live with Vinnie, an '84 1.9 DG Leisuredrive

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: O/S/F wing & seat mount repair advice please

Post by Plasticman »

http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/metul ... ent&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i make the steps but those will work, likewise i buy same from schofields but all are much the same price so use as you do , you have the right idea but there are a few things as above to be aware oof read and shout if you need more info,
mm

Slider2
80-90 Mem No: 15069

Post by Slider2 »

Just be careful about cutting it all out in one go. I've read a couple of really interesting threads where people have gone to put it all back together and found that the door opening has closed up without the arch in place and have struggled to then get it all back in the right place before welding in the new wing.

If you cut big sections out here I think the key thing to do is weld in a temporary bracing piece before you start cutting. As I say, there is at least one good thread about it somewhere here.... But I can't find it now...!

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Its very unlikely that the A to B post measurement would change without the wheel arch being in place.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

true.
my advice would be remove outer arch and step and then make the new arch fit and secure at step end and B post and ensure lateral positioning is also correct to give correct placement when door shut (this can all be done without removing door, then fabricate / fit inner step and the res becomes a fill in job
mm

rowlesy
80-90 Mem No: 1289

Post by rowlesy »

Slider2 wrote:Just be careful about cutting it all out in one go. I've read a couple of really interesting threads where people have gone to put it all back together and found that the door opening has closed up without the arch in place and have struggled to then get it all back in the right place before welding in the new wing.

If you cut big sections out here I think the key thing to do is weld in a temporary bracing piece before you start cutting. As I say, there is at least one good thread about it somewhere here.... But I can't find it now...!

utter utter "Balls" chap!
everytime you masterbate god kills a kitten! member 1289 does this still mean owt?

Slider2
80-90 Mem No: 15069

Post by Slider2 »

:D

Hmm.
Ok.... So with some deep soulsearching and headscratching I think I might have figured out where (my perhaps misguided) but well intentioned advice came from.....

I believe it was a thread about how someone had sectioned their existing wing, repaired the b pillar and then welded the arch back together .... With the weld heat pulling things in directions which made making the lines difficult to align. Further cutting & braces were then needed...?

I wholly accept that in a complete wing removal & replacement my advice was indeed 'balls'! Sorry to all those who welded in unecessary bracing in the mean time. (Perhaps I was scarred 20 years ago when I chopped out a pair of sills on a spitfire and then wondered why the doors wouldnt close with the new sills fully welded in!)

rowlesy
80-90 Mem No: 1289

Post by rowlesy »

front panel is connected to the deformation panel which is connected to the chassis rails (your suspension attaches to this also its not weak by any means) and the b pillar is attached to the chassis also. cutting out the front arch will not move the pillars about. if you have to do any work to the lower b pillar do that first (and keep checking width) then put on arch then do any seatbelt anchor work after... keep getting pms for my balls statement!
everytime you masterbate god kills a kitten! member 1289 does this still mean owt?