Pop top tricky to open

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Dhammadad
80-90 Mem No: 0

Pop top tricky to open

Post by Dhammadad »

Hi,

Apologies if this is lacking in detail. Its our first van and I'm a bit of a newbie.

We've a 1988 T3 and all seems well apart from the pop top that makes a rather loud "thump" when opening it. I'm sure the support poles at the rear are to blame and are getting stuck. I'm concerned it will get worse- anyone else had this? There also doesn't seem to be anything to hold the roof up once in place?

Also regarding the sliding panelanfoe the roof, we simply cannot work out how the fit to great the uppwr sleeping area. There are two panels. Pull one over and it creates a 'ceiling' for when driving. But we don't know how to create the other bedroom.

I'll take some of the inside asap.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Tony ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
VW T3 1988 1.9 78ps Devon 'Scotty'

Dhammadad

Re: Pop top tricky to open

Post by Dhammadad »

Dhammadad wrote:Hi,

Apologies if this is lacking in detail. Its our first van and I'm a bit of a newbie.

We've a 1988 T3 and all seems well apart from the pop top that makes a rather loud "thump" when opening it. I'm sure the support poles at the rear are to blame and are getting stuck. I'm concerned it will get worse- anyone else had this? There also doesn't seem to be anything to hold the roof up once in place?

Also regarding the sliding panelanfoe the roof, we simply cannot work out how the fit to great the uppwr sleeping area. There are two panels. Pull one over and it creates a 'ceiling' for when driving. But we don't know how to create the other bedroom.

I'll take some of the inside asap.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Tony ImageImage

More photos....ImageImageImageImage

Da dan

Post by Da dan »

Check your hinges and everything is tight. It’s the rams that hold the roof up. Replace if the roof falls down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dhammadad

Post by Dhammadad »

Da dan wrote:Check your hinges and everything is tight. It’s the rams that hold the roof up. Replace if the roof falls down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ta....once it's up then how do you get it down?

petethefeet
80-90 Mem No: 12639

Post by petethefeet »

To close the roof just pull it down, it may take some force. Looks like a Devon conversion. It also looks like someone has modified or repaired the hinge edge of the roof.
Hope that helps
1982 2 litre CU Auto Devon Moonraker called Brian