Tin top gutter repair.

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Tin top gutter repair.

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Hi folks.
The gutters on my late model tin-top are looking a bit the worse for the dreaded rust.
There's no leaks into the van, just the upward turned lip that forms the gutter is rusty and beyond just grinding back to good steel and painting.
Has anyone repaired theirs?
If so where did you cut and where did you weld?

I did a search but all I found was related to high tops and the rust that lurks under them.

Looking at this schofields repair section from BW, there seems to be a lot of roof included, presumably for high tops, how much should I use and how much should I trim off for a tin-top?
I really don't want to be cutting through into the roof if I can avoid it.
I'm thinking maybe just cut the lip off at the bottom of the gutter and weld in a flat steel strip.

any advise and especially first hand experience gratefully received.
BBB.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Tin top gutter repair.

Post by Plasticman »

Well as you know there are several different profiles, so if yours is like the illustration then your lucky , i have to have the westy ones made :( but you can join where you wish , if its only the outer part then make it but if its a little further in the run a disc alonf the area that forms the flat bottom of the channel so to speak and but weld it there, as you know i like the delicate touch of gas though mig would work but never used one for that area
mm

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Thanks for your insight MM. :ok
Yes, mine is that profile and the bottom of the channel seems to be good metal, so far at least.
So slitting along the bottom sounds like the best plan.
Unfortunately I've no experience of gas and neither have any of my mates so it'll have to be Mig.
Hopefully doing a little at a time and keeping it cool will stop it warping all over the place.
I'm assuming welding from the top with some protection below is the best policy?
Cheers.
BBB.
Split case club member.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

One of the troubles with migging is the size of the weld but as long as you can get a disc in then solved, the hard part will be the vertical joins but it was never meant to be easy lol
As your not welding to the roof should be no heat issues and where your welding in the bottom of the channel you will be welding onto the side panel top so again no issues
mm

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Thanks MM.
Nothing much is easy on these vans huh.
It's one of the jobs on my winter list and I like to know what I'm going to do before I start cutting, so cheers for that. :ok
Split case club member.

Johnmck
80-90 Mem No: 1622

Post by Johnmck »

Hi Can I jump in a bit here. Got a devon pop top and the gutters are bad particulary on the drivers side above drivers door and below where the hinge sits. I think i would be welding up into the side of the roof and under the repair section. Havent poked about too much yet, as dont want to create a big hole but has anyone welded in this area? Is this section single skinned or is there an inner skin. very nervious about attempting this repair as looks like avery tricky area to work on
thanks
john
John
Member No 1622
Air cooled devon