Type of metal and how to hold it in place

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Type of metal and how to hold it in place

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Should I use 1mm mild steel to repair a wing? I'm going to slip the metal through and attach it to the back of the hole. I was going to drill a small hole into th repair patch and pull it onto the glue/filler. Is there something that is designed to go through the drilled hole in the patch and open up like and umbrella to pull the patch firmly onto the glue/filler?
Honorary "Dave" 

paperhouselad
80-90 Mem No: 10768

Re: Type of metal and how to hold it in place

Post by paperhouselad »

I have done this type of repair and the results were great. Although i used some some quite sturdy perforated aluminiun, this was pulled back into the hole surround which was smeared with body filler, i just held it in position with a piece of bent wire only needs a ouple of minutes then pull the wire out. The inside of the wing needs to be degreased dry and abraded with some coarse emery cloth for the filler to grip onto. I did this years ago on my sunbeam alpine and its still as good today. :ok

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

If you can borrow some "cleco's" from your friendly local welder, they're used to hold panels together while welding and are then pulled out and re-used.
But if you can find someone who's got them..... get him to weld the patch in. :lol:
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Thanks for the replies, go the mesh already would have got the perforated aluminium if i'd see the replies sooner. Cleco would be perfect. Not going to weld as it's it's not structural and the heat from the welding would mean I'd have to take the interior outand as it's my daily I need to get van back on the road. Never heard of clecos but perfect for job in hand. cheers
Honorary "Dave" 

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Sir Brixalot wrote: Never heard of clecos but perfect for job in hand.

Neither had I until I bought a T25. :rofl
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Post by mshaw1980 »

I bought a cleco set on amazon for £30. Brilliant tool. Very handy when lining up new panels read to weld on. Just remember to weld the small holes up :-)
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

In the end I took the interior out and meshed it over the hole from the inside. At the same time I found loads of rust where the two panels join. Was supposedly repaired last year as part o fan insurance claim. They just squeezed out big sausages of filler on top of the rust sanded and painted over it, I collected whole handful of rust flakes. Wish I had the know how and space off road to weld! liberal coating of rust converter and D initrol and while I go back to the insurers
Honorary "Dave"