Sliding window or not?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Sliding window or not?

Post by mshaw1980 »

Hello

M van currently has sliding windows in the middle part of the van but have taken them out in order to replace seals / paint van, however I have noticed lots of people just have fixed glass in this area.

I am thinking it is handy having the sliding windows for ventilation purposes but the fixed window option seems tempting in terms of security, no drafts, a reduction in wind noise (maybe, along with proper insulation and sound deadening) when driving along motorways and also possibly less chance of corrosion of the window surround.

I just wondered what people's opinions are on this as I am not sure whether to ditch the sliding windows??

Cheers :ok
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Re: Sliding window or not?

Post by bigbadbob76 »

I'd keep em personally.
Good for ventilation and letting the steam/gas fumes out when you've got the kettle on.
Rust wise, my sliding window is no worse than my fixed ones.
I don't get drafts from my slider either so can't see the benefits of ditching them.
If they were louvered I'd probably ditch them for the same reasons you give above. (and replace with sliders :lol: )
Just my 2p. :D
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

Think I'd also keep mine although it can be a pain in wet weather as the felt expands and makes it difficult to open fully, also moss grows on the felt in cooler months when it's damp but a bit of rhodedendron feed soon sorts that out. Also think they look pretty good on the van.
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Post by Ant-t »

I'd keep them if your using the van as a camper, I'm going to upgrade mine as it just by my cooker etc, good ventilation when your using the van.
1983 DG Kamper 2

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Post by mshaw1980 »

Thanks everyone. Think I will keep them then but will have to refurbish them.
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)