Replacement Glass Fail

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

naff_monk
80-90 Mem No: 0

Replacement Glass Fail

Post by naff_monk »

Hi All, my name is Laurence

This is my first post but have been lurking on and seriously appreciating this amazing resource of information for years. Until now I've managed to keep my van going and execute a leisurely renovation without needing to ask a single question!

However...

I've managed to get myself in a pickle with my sliding door window and it doesn't seem to be a topic that's been covered much. I replaced all the seals on the side windows of my leisuredrive panel van conversion this summer which was a total nightmare!!! I spent weeks cursing youtube for all the lying gits pretending that it was easy but managed to get them back in eventually with new seals except for this one that I managed to drop and smash (first one that I tried, didn't have the right tools). I managed to find a company that would cut new glass for me but managed to "cock" up the measurements and the glass is too big. Noooo!!!!!!!

Can someone tell me if I'm doing this wrong/offer general advice/perform glass based miracles as I can't afford the time or money to keep getting it wrong.

Aperture: 1058/400mm
Corner radius: 50mm
Seal thickness: 7mm

Therefore by my calcs, glass should be 14mm smaller in both dimensions:
Glass: 1044/386
Corner radius: 50mm?? The guy at the shop said smaller (48mm) but I don't think that's right now I've got it in my hands.

I'm nervous as the one I have I stupidly subtracted 7mm not 14 but when I offer the glass up it overlaps by quite a lot more than 7mm so have a feeling I'm really into a world of not knowing what the hell I'm doing any more :?: :?:

Cheers
Laurence
1988 Leisuredrive high top rust bucket
1.9TD ABL (JX pump & turbo)
5 speed 3h

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Re: Replacement Glass Fail

Post by mrhutch »

is it the same size as the window in the opposite side?
If so pop that one out and use it to get another cut?
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

naff_monk

Post by naff_monk »

Hey, thanks for the reply

The other side is a sliding window and slightly different unfortunately. It might be close enough but I'm not sure I can face taking it out again to find out!

I'm thinking I might create a template with Perspex or something, at least I can cut and adjust it myself then and will work as a more sturdy interim solution than the polythene sheet and gaffer tape on there now.

I'm sure this can't be the first time someone has replaced a smashed window though, Surely doing it by measurement must be a valid approach.
5 speed 3h

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

hi , you cant really do this with measurements and such , its simple really just get some card thats as fairly stiff cut it to fit inside the van and up against the window aperature, tapre/fix/3 pairs of hands whatever and then mark round the hole on the outside with a fine------ish marker pen
write top on the top ......

then cut thuis out acurately leaving the pen line.

next

your seal .measure the root ( the part that sepparates the glass from the metalwork and add 1.5-2 mm).

so if your root is 7mm then you want 8.5-9mm . use an old fashioned compass and simply mark this around the template and cut it again .

this will give you a template that that is correct for both your van body and the seal you have.

now make an exact copy of your template and keep this.....

next go to glass folk and get a bit of laminated cut and have them polish the edges, check against the template before leaving and produce your spare template and check with that :wink: ( i have known a company alter a template when they cut some glass for me a while ago..........

mm

naff_monk

Post by naff_monk »

Makes sense. I've warmed the supplier up for matching to a template, having spoken to him this doesn't sound like miss-fitting glass a unique problem to him

I suppose I can always use my template as a router jig for the perspex idea in the inerim

Cheers for the help , will post back with progress
5 speed 3h