Golden oldie

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Fisherjoe
80-90 Mem No: 0

Golden oldie

Post by Fisherjoe »

I have recently become the 2nd owner of this 1989 2.1DJ auto Caravelle. I bought the van from a family friend who has lived in the same village as i grew up in for many years. I often saw and admired the van as a child/teenager. I can safely say I never thought I would own it! therefore I already have a sentimental attachment to the van. I''m hoping to spend many trips away with my girlfriend exploring the uk and europe. It's my first old vehicle and has already put a massive smile on my face.

I am now aware of the amount of time, effort and money that may be needed to keep the van happy. I am grateful for the wealth of information and knowledge available to me via the forum and wiki pages.

The van has always been left in a garage over night, been looked after by one mechanic and has in the last 50k had a fully rebuilt VW engine.. it really purrs along. I am happy with its mechanical state currently.

Obviously my main concern, no surprise here, is that of the body work. It has never been welded or painted and is in original condition.

I've uploaded some photos to see if can tempt out some ball park figures and opinions for welding costs. I am really interested in roller painting the van myself once the body work has a good foundation.

There's only one section of visible seam rust and two window edges that are bubbling up with rust. the bumper has blemishes of rust. and there's a little inside the van, as shown and one front footwell is quite bad . The worst I'm assuming is the jack points and rear control arm mounts. I dont have the skills to weld myself so will be paying for this work to be carried out.

Thanks!

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Re: Golden oldie

Post by ZsZ »

none of your photobucket photos are visible
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

ZsZ wrote:none of your photobucket photos are visible

They are if you have the right Chrome plug-in installed :D

To my untrained eye, I'd say that none of that requires welding. Maybe a bit of professional rust treatment and localised repainting. I'd say that van is in remarkably good condition, and it would be a shame to cover the original paint with a roller job. Spend your money on a professional spray job where it's needed.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

CJH wrote:
ZsZ wrote:none of your photobucket photos are visible

They are if you have the right Chrome plug-in installed :D

.......... or firefox add on for that matter
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Pictures are viewable on tapatalk..
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Not for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

Fisherjoe
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Fisherjoe »

Sorry if you have had issues viewing photos..

below is the link for the chrome plugin which enables viewing of photobucket..remember to clear the browser cache once added.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... iews?hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

R0B wrote:Pictures are viewable on tapatalk..
Not on my tapatalk.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

Fisherjoe wrote:Sorry if you have had issues viewing photos..

below is the link for the chrome plugin which enables viewing of photobucket..remember to clear the browser cache once added.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... iews?hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thx just installed on my pcs. Altough not available on android version of chrome
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Fisherjoe wrote:Sorry if you have had issues viewing photos..

Thanks, that’s very thoughtful of you! I’ll try to wrestle the laptop out of my wife’s grip - I usually just use my phonio.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.