Complete original VW sills, ..or spereate sill pieces?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ozzi_in_the_uk
80-90 Mem No: 14558

Complete original VW sills, ..or spereate sill pieces?

Post by ozzi_in_the_uk »

Hi

My van is solid on everything but the inner sills, sliding door track (lower), and the lower front panel where it meets the deformation panel.
I can weld pretty well (but want to improve). I have access to a mechanical workshop with a car hoist and quality snap-on mig welder etc.

So I'm gonna bite the bullet and have a crack at re-doing this all my self.
I have read all the post's (in the past) for un-stitching the old sills and replacing them. Although I can no longer find them :(

The sliding door side lower outer sill panel is completely shagged (has been patched to within an inch of it's life), the sliding door lower track rail has got so worn that it has got 'lumpy' and even got some holes in it along the way, and the inner sill need replacing. So I have got in my head that it pretty much needs a new inner, outer and sliding door guide panel.

But what I don't know is and I was hoping to get some advice from someone whom has done this before, ....is it easier/better to try and fit a genuine vw complete Outer sill part (which already includes the door roller channel etc like the one supplied by brickwerks) as one piece? Or is it better to buy the separate panels to make up the complete sill, and then 'stitch' them together 'piece meal' as I reconstruct it? My thinking is that buying the separate panels, may offer me better or easier opportunities to weld it all back into the fabric of the vehicle better, than just trying to get access to fixing points to say the front outrigger or rear cross-member etc, which may be denied me with the more fuller/complete VW outer sill panel?
...does that make sense?

Any advice from someone whom has done thsi repair before would be most welcome. :ok
1988 - 2.1i wbx - Microbus SA Import

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Complete original VW sills, ..or spereate sill pieces?

Post by Aidan »

haven't done it but the inner and outer are simply edge joined so using whole VW outer panel that is already assembled will be strongest and likeliest to fit and match up

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

If you want the complete outer slider sill you better be quick, no more available from VW or VW Heritage shop and Brickwerks out of stock, only A H Schofield has them.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

ozzi_in_the_uk
80-90 Mem No: 14558

Post by ozzi_in_the_uk »

Thanks for the post guys. I better get a hop on! :shock:

Ozzi
1988 - 2.1i wbx - Microbus SA Import