How much paint

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

doka1967
80-90 Mem No: 16163

How much paint

Post by doka1967 »

Hi, I am looking to have my DOka sprayed in 2k anyone know how much paint I need for each coat i.e. primer then top coat?

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Re: How much paint

Post by Mr Bean »

Well I recently did my van in synthetic changing from a light metallic blue - to much hassle fixing scratches, dings etc, to a darker non metallic blue - easier to repair when you scrape up narrow country lanes etc.
I bought three liters of top coat and used just over two of them. The recommended thinner ratio was 10% but I used 12%. I simply flatted the existing metallic and used grey primer over the repairs blowing over one coat to get the colour consistent then one thicker finishing coat. I didn't use an undercoat per se as there is already plenty of paint on the old beast.
This is my second use of synthetic after 40 or 50 past spray jobs using cellulose. I find the technique quite different for synthetic as it doesn't flash off so quick and more prone to runs. Not perfect but a blind man...
Love to put a picture on the forum but the Photobucket prob not working.

CS
PS Our one try out with two pack was a near disaster as all the insect life in the ceiling rafters of the workshop died and fell onto the wet paint.
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Paul Southworth
80-90 Mem No: 10171

Re: How much paint

Post by Paul Southworth »

I couldn't comment on the amount of primer because that all depends on the amount of repairs.
When you say a full re-spray does that include the roof?
In my experience you will need 3 litres mixed paint for two full coats if painting under the roof gutter line (that is 1 litre each side and 1/2 litre for rear and 1/2 litre front panel). Id say 4 litres if doing roof as well. You need to buy hardener and thinner as well.
it is a 2:1 mix with hardener and generally 10% thinner (depending on how warm it is) personally I can get away with 20% thinner in a spray booth at ambient temperature. So that said buy 2 litres of colour plus hardener and thinner for any job under the gutter line, 3 for roof included.
:ok By the way the trick we use with synthetic paint is to warm it first by placing the tin of paint in a bucket of hot water, this helps thin the paint prior to application.
1988 1.9 DG Autosleeper Trooper.