Rust treatment is scary

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Rust treatment is scary

Post by sarahandthebear »

So as you all know we have our new van and have just started to sand back parts of the paint work and treat the rust and have to say it's terrifying. Sanding back the paint to bear metal hopeing to find nothing to scary like a hole but luckily it just seems to be old seem rust. We sanded it down to the metal and used bilt hydrate 80 to treat the rust. Then we will coat it In built primer until we want to paint the whole van with rustolum Connie colour. Still a lot of the van to go so fingers crossed we find nothing scary but at least we are doing as much as we can to treat our van for the future
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Re: Rust treatment is scary

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Good. Just do what you can when you can. I find the passenger side gets the most issues, so maybe do this side first and the drivers side later. No rush, you're keeping the van so take your time. I had the daunting take of looking at it as a massive job, but was told the above. It worked beautifully. Little bit at a time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Re: Rust treatment is scary

Post by fazzer »

If your going down to bare metal are you using acid etch primer before the high build primer.