Sliding door stuck shut (early type)

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Sliding door stuck shut (early type)

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Please can anyone share any knowledge they may have on this problem?

I'm on holiday and the sliding door will not open. Anyone know the best course of action I can take please? Be it, now with basic tools or when I get home with access to more.

Bit of a pain getting the wife, 2 kids and a baby in and out the front doors.

Any help appreciated. Thanks, Jon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Sliding door stuck shut (early type)

Post by Plasticman »

glad your using it :D did it open ok from inside and out before ?
assuming lock button thing is up then what happens wjhen you try , do you get same movement on the handles inside and out ? if not the what is different on each ?
unscrew the door card as I think yours is screwed on hehe, and pull the cable by hand, .still no work then pm me
mm

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Thanks for that. Just out and about. Will try when back at camp.

The lock is up.

The handles on both sides move but don't seem to go all the way down. It's as if the last bit is where the lock would unclick open and something's stopping it.

Got a few screw drivers so will have a nosey shortly and report back.

Thanks again.

1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Pm sent mm (picture sent on email too) thanks, Jon.

porthyt
80-90 Mem No: 14116

Post by porthyt »

Mine did this at the weekend. Take off door card and check the cable is still connected to the handle mechanism. Mine had slipped off - pulled it and hooked back on - good to go.

Josh

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Thanks Josh. Figured out that mine has detached at the lock end of the rod. Looks like a small bolt has snapped. The bolt had a rim and was held in place with a circlip.

Will sleep with the door ajar tonight, can open with the aid of a screwdriver if I need to shut it. It's been a mare the kids getting In and out the front doors. Mucky fingers all over me captains seats ;)

Thanks, Jon.

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Are the bolts/screws secured and in place at the rear of the door where the top runners are. There are two fixing the top runner to the door. One of mine fell off and I had a big problem shutting and opening the door until I found the reason.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

peteinnit
80-90 Mem No: 12410

Post by peteinnit »

Help, this has just happened to me too! I was having quite a good day prepping for the repaint.....

I had the sliding door off, didn't touch anything to do with the handles or locks, put it back on closed it and now it's stuck shut. Both handles move to their full extent but they don't get any tension. Have had the door card and pulled on the cable and whilst it moves the lock lever peg it, it doesn't open the door. The lock knob inside will only lock if I pull the cable out, it will unlock though. Have had a feel around but can't find anything to push or pull and nothing obvious (to me) has come off.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers
Peter
T25 2.0l Aircooled CI - 1982

peteinnit
80-90 Mem No: 12410

Post by peteinnit »

S'alright, popped back out to have another look and the cable had detached from the rear end, broken circlip, so a good day after all :D
T25 2.0l Aircooled CI - 1982