Adding Sikaflex to existing Sikaflex

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Adding Sikaflex to existing Sikaflex

Post by bmouthboyo »

4 years ago I suddenly found myself emigrating for work overseas when my van was half restored. At the time I had the pop top roof removed and needed it back on for storage.

I hastily cleaned around the bonding area and used sikaflex 221, and in hindsight mistakenly ratchet strapped the roof onto the body.

Now I am not worried about the roof flying off as it is an Autosleeper pop top and there is a great deal of screws on the inside woodwork to the body. My main worry is leaks, and ruining any interior I am about to do.

Returning to the van I have found there is slight cracks in the bonding:

I don't really want to have to remove the entire roof again as I imagine cutting through all this sikaflex would be nothing short of an absolute nightmare.

My question is can I use a stanly knife to clean up the existing and add new sikaflex on top and smooth over any cracks to be 100% sure of being water tight? And can I fill the gutter in doing so?

Cheers
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Re: Adding Sikaflex to existing Sikaflex

Post by what2do »

I'd be surprised if it's the Sikaflex that is cracking, more likely to be the paint that has hardened instead.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

what2do wrote:I'd be surprised if it's the Sikaflex that is cracking, more likely to be the paint that has hardened instead.

Would adding some more on top of cleaned up areas be an issue?

Basically does sikaflex adhere to previous sikaflex?

what2do

Post by what2do »

You haven't said if I'm correct yet. If so, there's no point adding more Sikaflex, rub down the paint in the area of the crack and apply more paint. It's purely cosmetic if it's only the paint.

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

what2do wrote:You haven't said if I'm correct yet. If so, there's no point adding more Sikaflex, rub down the paint in the area of the crack and apply more paint. It's purely cosmetic if it's only the paint.

Sorry I am not sure what you mean. The paint hardened and pulled way?

Either way the areas with cracks are not sherd to the roof so wouldn't bonding be what's needed?

what2do

Post by what2do »

bmouthboyo wrote:
what2do wrote:You haven't said if I'm correct yet. If so, there's no point adding more Sikaflex, rub down the paint in the area of the crack and apply more paint. It's purely cosmetic if it's only the paint.

Sorry I am not sure what you mean. The paint hardened and pulled way?

Either way the areas with cracks are not sherd to the roof so wouldn't bonding be what's needed?

I'm saying that t,he paint has hardened/shrunk and come away from the sealant, therefore, I would sand back the paint until the loose and flaky stuff was no longer evident before applying new paint. I'm basing this opinion on my earlier question; is it just the paint that is cracked and not the Sikaflex. I very much doubt the Sikaflex has debinded if the prep and cleaning was done properly in the first place, I say this with confidence because it just DOESN'T crack.

Does that make a bit more sense?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.