Gutters leaking into drivers footwell

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Gillski

Gutters leaking into drivers footwell

Post by Gillski »

My Hi Top came back from the bodywork place with lots of extra sealant in the gutters. Recently I have been getting a LOT of water into the drivers footwell which is clearly coming over the door and down through the seat belt attachment on the floor. There were a few holes in the sealant so I have filled in those but it is still leaking. Now I realise that the sealant is above the level of the metal gutter so I no longer technically have a function rain channel.

Do I have to take the whole lot out and start again? If so, how? The other alternative would be to build up the sealant on the edge to make a new gutter. Suggestions please ....

Many thanks

Gill

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Gutters leaking into drivers footwell

Post by AngeloEvs »

I don't get water getting into footwell and the gutters on my Autohomes hi top are level to prevent water creeping under the sealant and rotting the roof and the gutters. Your door seals should stop water getting in, most modern cars do not have gutters. I would not remove the new sealant but if you are absolutely sure that the lack of gutters is the problem you could use fibreglass tissue to create a slight lip over the section that spans the doors.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

Gillski

Post by Gillski »

Hm. Looks like I might need to replace the door seals .... Don't expect that'll be straightforward!

Gill

Gillski

Door seal replacement

Post by Gillski »

So, I've filled the gutters with sealant and water is still coming into my drivers footwell. It seems to be coming in at the top of the door and going under the carpets via the attachment of the seatbelt. Looks like I need new door seals. How easy is this and where is the best place to get the seals?

Gill

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Post by fazzer »

Are you sure some of the leak could be rotton windscreen surround which leaks into footwells,common problem.

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

Don't forget to check the seals around any skylights, etc, in your hightop.

When we first got our Westy the sealant on one of our skylights had failed, and it was letting water in. This water was tracking from a skylight located over the mid-point of the van, through the inside of the hightop lining, and emerging at the off-side A-pillar.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Gillski

Post by Gillski »

Think I've fixed all the leaks round windows etc. Seen evidence of exactly where it's coming in and it's through the top of the door, pretty much in the middle. Shame - sealant is so easy if a bit time-consuming! Last year though it came through one of my little high-top windows and into my zig unit. Not clever. 12v socket never worked since!

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Move the door in a little so that it shuts a little tighter. Did that on mine when the same leak appeared on one door. Doesn't need to go in much at all.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Gillski

Post by Gillski »

That sounds easy but looks rather difficult to me! How??? I was also wondering about packing out the existing seal somehow ...

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Move the top hinge in very slightly. 2 bolts that's all.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Gillski

Post by Gillski »

Thanks. Will give that a go when I can borrow a spare pair of hands. Just put some of the plastic tape that you can use as door and window frame draught sealer on the body of the van where the door seal touches. Won't have long to wait to see if it's worked - plenty of rain forecast tomorrow ...

Gill

Gillski

Post by Gillski »

It's better but not perfect. Have just added more tape and will leave to get more wet ...