How to remove Westfalia hightop?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sweetaswesty
80-90 Mem No: 12543

Re: To remove Westfalia Hightop or not to remove?

Post by sweetaswesty »

Thanks for both replies - really helpful.
So it sounds as if the problem with the panel at the back can be resolved without lifting the roof? And the damage to that panel hasn't probably come from leaks from inside the vehicle but from the odd attachment of the panel above the rear hatch? It looks like the PO may have had a problem with leaks in this area as the fibre glass roof seems to have been actually separated from the panel that is attached with the rivets.
That just seems to leave the front corners inside as the reason for lifting the roof, and I'm scratching my head how to fix them with such difficult access without lifting the roof?
I'm reckoning on being off the road for a few weeks or longer because I've a big list of things to do including at least a partial respray after I've done them.
If I did take the roof off I could drive it inside the barn I use for a garage and work in the warm and dry also.
But I still only want to take it off if I really have to, perhaps mostly because it's going to be a stretch doing as good a job as Westfalia putting it back on again.
But on the other hand I don't want to do a half hearted half baked job.
John
1991 Westfalia California Hightop1.9tdi

sweetaswesty

Betty goes topless - Taking off a Westfalia hightop roof

Post by sweetaswesty »

So our kids named our Westfalia California Betty but to me she will always affectionately remain the Van.
This is a bit of a catch up because I’m in the thick of it now and I could really use some help. :)
So I bit the bullet and finally took the roof off. There were signs of rust in the gutters and an ominous brown streak inside in the front off side corner where the fibreglass top was glued to the metal roof but I hoped to get away with stripping out the old sealant in the gutters, doing some minimal repair work and sealing it all up again. However one morning I found a crack in my windscreen which, when I removed the screen, I discovered was caused by rust created by a hole which went through three layers of metal and lay unseen just under that ominous brown streak. The only way to fix it was to take off the roof.
It was a mission and a half getting the roof off. Tips picked up from the Samba, Van360, Plasticman and Kervinmervin - many many thanks! - gave me the help I needed. Except that my roof and its means of attachment were in better condition than I expected from previous accounts and pics and were consequently harder to get off maybe in that nothing at all just fell apart or gave way.
I also discovered that VW and Westfalia in their thoroughness used four different glues/sealants to attach the roof: a sticky black butyl concoction at the front corners, a hard setting transparent/white filler at the front under the lip, a tough grey polyurethane type sealant between the fibreglass lip and metal binding strip at the sides and copious quantities of a white flexible rubbery filler at the back.
Also, although it was obvious the roof wasn’t designed to come off in a rush the method of fitting it meant it was logically designed to be do-able without trashing the roof.
So my currently pressing question is I haven’t taken the metal frame off the roof yet because I’m not sure how much rigidity and strength it adds to the total structure of the van? So can I remove it without welding in some strengthening bars across the void where the roof used to be?
I can get it inside my barn without the roof frame on which would be good for welding etc.
Any thoughts? Thanks!
Betty topless:
van and roof.jpg
van and roof.jpg (98.29 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
The hole in the roof:
rust hole.jpg
rust hole.jpg (90.77 KiB) Viewed 1424 times

DavidPallister
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: How to remove Westfalia hightop?

Post by DavidPallister »

I've pulled my framework out with no issues.

The 2 main hoops bolt into place, if you are that concerned, measure the width across the top before hand, fabricate up a couple of cross beams and bolt them back into place once the rest is off.

sweetaswesty

Re: How to remove Westfalia hightop?

Post by sweetaswesty »

Thanks - I'd almost given up on getting a reply to this question - probably hidden away too much in my lengthy text. So I PM'd a wise and experienced member who also gave the same helpful advice.
Unfortunately I have some more questions. :)
When you put the roof back on how did you deal with the metal strips that hold the roof in place along the gutters?
Did you make up some new ones? If so how did you do it?
And how did you attach them to the gutters? Spot weld them or glue them?
And what kind of glues/sealant(s) did you use?
I was surprised to find VW/Westfalia used at least four different kinds.
Any one else have any answers from their own experience?
I've got so much respect for anyone who's done this job before. It's pretty immense.