Welding front jacking point to inner sill repair piece

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Welding front jacking point to inner sill repair piece

Post by mshaw1980 »

Hello

So I have made up an inner sill repair piece where the front jacking point is welded to and thought it would be much easier welding the top of the jacking point onto the repair piece before welding the actual sill repair piece in. This would then only leave the bottom two prongs of the jacking point to weld to the sill before welding plates back in where I have cut away the front outrigger. (Will get a pic up later)

However the jacking point is 4mm steel and the inner sill repair piece is 1.5mm. What is the technique to get good penetration on both thicknesses of steel without blowing through the 1.5mm steel?? I have a sealey supermig 150 with argon C02 gas.

Thanks
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

Whitevanman
80-90 Mem No: 12492

Re: Welding front jacking point to inner sill repair piece

Post by Whitevanman »

I've just done the rear jacking points with a similar MIG. Highest power and keep the torch mainly on the thick steel to get penetration and catch onto the thin just enough to get a weld flowing. I'm a DIY welder and find it easier than the thin stuff

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk